English Credit Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuitarFreak

Private Practice
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read many threads that were sort of similar to my question but I didn't see anything that answered my exact question.

I am going to be finishing up my Bachelors degree in December & I've taken one English course worth 3 credit hours. Since Most medical schools require a year of English classes or 6 credit hours, I'm taking an english course this fall (my last semester). However, I'm applying to Medical schools this summer so as an applicant I only have 3 credit hours of english. Since I am going to mention that I will be taking another english course before I graduate, in my AMCAS, should that cover everything as far as english requirements?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you list it as a future course, and your final transcript sent to the med school you'll attend proves you took it, you'll be fine. As a cautionary note: at least one of those English classes should be writing intensive to satisfy the greatest number of med schools' expectations.

Thanks for the Response Mobius

Neither one of the classes are classified as "writing intensive" thought I'm told there is a load of writing in the one I have to take (its called 'The Short Story'). I have, however, taken a writing intensive course in Anthropology as well as Molecular & Cellular Biology. You think that would be acceptable?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that schools may give you an exemption from the requirement when another writing-intensive course has been taken, even if course description doesn't call it "English". It takes phone calls to the admissions office to get this to happen though.

I have, however, taken a writing intensive course in Anthropology as well as Molecular & Cellular Biology. You think that would be acceptable?
It often is, but I agree, you'd have to make some calls to be absolutely sure (if the school requires it).

Thanks for the help guys! .. I will be calling up the schools I'm applying to.

As long as you list it as a future course, and your final transcript sent to the med school you'll attend proves you took it, you'll be fine. As a cautionary note: at least one of those English classes should be writing intensive to satisfy the greatest number of med schools' expectations.

If the guy has two classes with ENGL in the course number, he should be fine, correct?

One of my schools specified I had to have a writing-intensive course, and all English classes don't have writing as their focus. I think you need to read the fine print on the school's website or Secondary application to know for sure. I don't recall the MSAR as giving that much detail.

One of my schools specified I had to have a writing-intensive course, and all English classes don't have writing as their focus. I think you need to read the fine print on the school's website or Secondary application to know for sure. I don't recall the MSAR as giving that much detail.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Do you remember which school?

Hey I took a intensive freshman writing seminar in the English department but with the header WRITING PROGRAM (not English), even though the course name is Introduction to Literary Analysis and I had to write a 8 page paper every week. I took another english course my senior year, but it was less writing intensive (it was both a novel/film course with only a mid-term paper and a long final paper), but it has the ENG pre-fix. Am I OK?