English Credit Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupernovaNights

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have looked at most of my schools, and determined that my English taken in high school (which corresponded to transfer credit at my university due to an agreement between my university and high school) will probably not be accepted at many of these schools. Most of them say that AP credit is fine for the science requirements, meaning that for the English requirement, if AP credit is not allowed, I definitely do not think my transfer credit will be allowed either. Whenever they talk about 9 hours of undergraduate English credit, do you think it would be a good idea to instead take some more advanced English classes instead of repeat basic freshman English? Sure, basic freshman English may be easier... but I'd really hate to retake it all over.

This is under the pretense that more specialized English classes can fulfill the prereqs... whenever schools want 9 hours of English, they're not just talking about the freshman composition classes, right?

Also, some colleges are a little more vague about these requirements... such as:
Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences - Applicants are required to complete at least 24 semester hours in these disciplines.
(this school has no English requirement, but would English presumably fall under this category?)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, English falls under Humanities.

Sure, go ahead and take upper level classes. All my English credits were from 300+ level classes. Much more interesting than stupid freshman comp! Plus unlike with many natural or social sciences, there are few upper level English classes that have pre-requisites. I think one of my English classes had a "recommended" pre-req, but I got an A without too much effort. The only issue here is if you KNOW you're bad at English. Many of the people in the advanced level classes will be majors, and if you are not very good by nature, your essays will look particularly lackluster next to theirs, compared to a 100-level class.

At least take English classes that may be interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, English falls under Humanities.

Sure, go ahead and take upper level classes. All my English credits were from 300+ level classes. Much more interesting than stupid freshman comp! Plus unlike with many natural or social sciences, there are few upper level English classes that have pre-requisites. I think one of my English classes had a "recommended" pre-req, but I got an A without too much effort. The only issue here is if you KNOW you're bad at English. Many of the people in the advanced level classes will be majors, and if you are not very good by nature, your essays will look particularly lackluster next to theirs, compared to a 100-level class.

Thank you so much for your response. I don't want my transcript to limit my choice of schools, so this more than helps. I wont retake those stupid freshman comp classes, and instead, I'm going to shoot for the juicer literature classes, and maybe a little bit of "Technical Documentation."

I think this is the best solution for me. I don't want to have to grab my old high school transcripts, so I can care less if AMCAS verifies my old English credits. They are gradeless anyway.

Speaking of that.. it IS listed as "Transfer credit," But my high school was, of course, not an "accredited university," so I don't suppose I'll have to provide my high school transcript for AMCAS, will I?

Whenever they talk about 9 hours of undergraduate English credit, do you think it would be a good idea to instead take some more advanced English classes instead of repeat basic freshman English? Sure, basic freshman English may be easier... but I'd really hate to retake it all over.

I've seen a bunch of schools require 2 semesters of English, but which ones require 9 hours?