English credits with at least 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sab3156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a C- (1.7) in one of my english courses that I am using to fulfill my requirements for english credits. I will unfortunately be unable to retake this class due to other commitments, until next summer. All of the schools (at least the ones I have applied to) seem to have a strict requirement of at least a 2.0 in each course used to fulfill requirements.

My stats:

cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 3.6
SMP GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 36

Tons of clinical experience. MD shadowing. No DO shadowing, but will have that soon.

Do you know if I will generally still be considered for interviews despite this C- in a required course?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have a C- (1.7) in one of my english courses that I am using to fulfill my requirements for english credits. I will unfortunately be unable to retake this class due to other commitments, until next summer. All of the schools (at least the ones I have applied to) seem to have a strict requirement of at least a 2.0 in each course used to fulfill requirements.

My stats:

cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 3.6
SMP GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 36

Tons of clinical experience. MD shadowing. No DO shadowing, but will have that soon.

Do you know if I will generally still be considered for interviews despite this C- in a required course?

Thanks.
I believe most schools(if not all DO schools) will not accept a C- as a passing grade. Also if you can't fulfill it until next summer, I don't believe a school will look at you. While you have an amazing Mcat score, and great Science gpa, your english class may be the thing that stops you from meeting the minimum of 2 english classes for all schools. However attempt calling schools and asking.

Thanks for the input. I did, however, get secondaries from schools that are so far sending them out, and the emails stated that I have met the minimum requirements. I guess I will have to call and ask, like you said.

Another issue is that my MCAT is from January 2014... but when I called schools like CCOM and NYIT-COM, they said I am complete and that I don't need anything else... it seems that schools are just giving general requirements, and are being flexible depending on the rest of your application.

Has anyone else been successful without meeting some of the timeline requirements (like MCAT in a specific time period) or by having less than a C in a required course like English? Thanks.