English in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecoolest47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a Canadian who is applying to the US next year. I was just wondering if a lot of the top schools require English. I haven't taken English, because I think it will lower my gpa. Currently, I have a 3.87 gpa, with a lot of involvement in university government. Where can I apply?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most of them do, and as a Canadian, your list's already narrowed down significantly, because most state schools won't take you at all. It's in your best interest to take it. The only other thing I can think of is if you've taken other writing-heavy classes (no, lab reports for physics don't count), you could try e-mailing schools individually and asking them if they'd accept them in lieu of English. Still, most require a year, so ensure you have 6 credits of such coursework before you try that.

Hey everyone,

I am a Canadian who is applying to the US next year. I was just wondering if a lot of the top schools require English. I haven't taken English, because I think it will lower my gpa. Currently, I have a 3.87 gpa, with a lot of involvement in university government. Where can I apply?

Thanks

Just take it. Your GPA is above average for all the programs. 6 credits of English can't drag you down that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken several courses in the faculty of health sciences which are not "science" related and required a lot of expository writing. For example, I have taken a Creative Writing course, and another one on Health Economics. Do you think that these could count?

I'm pretty positive that creative writing would, not sure about the other one.

Kind of OT, but how come there are ALWAYS people trying to get around the English requirement....it's not like we have dozens of posts here daily asking "Can I be exempt from Organic Chemistry?":rolleyes:

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Que?

Creative writing should definitely count.

My premed advisor told us that any writing intensive courses: creative writing, college writing, expository writing etc. all count as the english requirement.

Health economics? Now that might be a hard sell.

Creative writing should definitely count.

My premed advisor told us that any writing intensive courses: creative writing, college writing, expository writing etc. all count as the english requirement.

Health economics? Now that might be a hard sell.
eh, I was told that creative writing wouldn't really fly. So I took academic composition.

eh, I was told that creative writing wouldn't really fly. So I took academic composition.
Really? That is bizarre, at my school the creative writing course was actually in the English department. Weird stuff.