English is ruining my hopes of becoming a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Russell7

Does anyone else feel like a certain class is ruining their dreams? Maybe I'm being over-dramatic, but it seems no matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, I can't do well in English. Pharmacy is different from the states here at the U of A. Pre-pharm is 1 year, and there is no exam or interview. It is almost strictly academic. They basically say "don't apply unless you have at least a 3.5 GPA, competitive GPA is 3.7." You can try to upgrade a pre-requ, but then my cumulative GPA will be absolute junk from having so many English credits.

I feel like English is ruining my life. I can 4.0 math/stat, maybe some of my sciences, 3.7 most others, maybe 3.3 a couple, but I'll probably end up with a 2.3 or so in English. Since English is 6 credit, it counts for twice as much as everything else. It's severely lowering my GPA and I don't feel like I'll ever get into pharmacy. I'm really just thinking about copping out and going into Engineering or something... University makes it way too hard for us that can't analyze/write about literature worth crap. Anyway, there's my rant.

Members don't see this ad.

omg ennglish. i'm taking that and rhetoric this semester. after taking only science classes for so long, english has been a shock. but have you tried talking to your teacher/ta? on my first english paper i got a C+. went to talk to my ta and he told me what he wanted and blah blah blah. this last paper i got an A. i personally thought it was a way worse essay but i guess it was what he wanted...

and as far as analyzing. i think it's all about pulling things out of thin air and then supporting it. ..blahh. i'm so worn out with everything.

What's U of A? University of Arizona? Are you straigt from high school?

How about retaking english again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some tutoring. Go to the writing center if your school has one. Talk to your teacher. Someone should be able to help you if you look for the help.

Try applying to other Pharm Schools that don't have an English class requirement? I go to one :)

Lots of Canadians don't apply/get in to pharmacy schools after only one year. Some only think about applying after they get their degree. Don't sweat extending things by one year.

What is it that's holding you back in your English class?

To be quite honest, if my pharmacy school required English, I probably wouldn't be in it. It is not that I'm poor at it, I just despise fiction and can't write "imagery this" and "imagery that." Really, in Lord of the Flies, they killed the pig because they were hungry, not because they were descending into savagery. Stop looking for what isn't there.

Someguy that's hilarious! I am the exact same way. I despise the constant 'looking for the deeper/hidden meaning' in English literature. What school do you go to? I'm at the U of Alberta. I thought of applying at the U of Sask. (from what I hear, much lower GPA requ.), but I honestly don't see myself doing it financially.

SomeGuy said:
Really, in Lord of the Flies, they killed the pig because they were hungry, not because they were descending into savagery. Stop looking for what isn't there.

I agree...English classes are so subjective.