English major - safe to dedicate less time to VR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elizabethx89

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agree with above poster. I was in same position as OP; post bac with liberal arts undergrad. Just do a few practice sections to get back into the swing of it. Verbal was easily my best section, followed closely by bio. Go figure...they both heavily rely upon the same skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have strong enough reading comprehension/inference skills, then I would say that yes you can pretty much skip VR prep. I've always been a very strong reader, and I did a grand total of a single VR section from one of the AAMCs during my studying, and got a 12. Do a full section to test yourself, and if that goes well, I would put it on the back burner until you're confident with your science content

I don't think you can decide that until you take several practice exams. Just because you are good at English / reading comprehension doesn't NECESSARILY mean you will be good at MCAT VR.

Take a practice test. If you score 13+, you're more than good. Don't devote time to VR.

From your small sample, 8/10 is around 10-11-level. I started around there and after continuous practice, never improved. It's your judgement as to whether you would benefit more from putting that time into the sciences.

taking a practice test is a good idea. my guess is that you will find that you do need practice however; practicing verbal is mostly about mastering timing, and i don't see how any major could prepare you for that.

I second tdod. Verbal is easy breeze for me but timing it is a different story. Practice timing-- because even if you KNOW all the material, it won't show if you don't have time to answer questions!