English Medical School

Discussion in 'Europe' started by etjaipleure, Apr 29, 2007.

1. etjaipleure

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Was wondering if anyone had ANY information on med schools in the UK. Requirements, tests, foreign student policies,a list of med schools, good schools... any information would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ramekin

ramekin Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

List of medical schools:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_school_%28United_Kingdom%29#List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_Kingdom

Requirements for foreign students:

Academic-

There is a numerus clausus for international applicants set by the government, i think it's about 10% of any annual intake.

For undergraduate applications, i.e. highschool graduates, applicants generally must offer the UK or International General Certificate of Education/A Level including normally 2 from Bio/Chem/Phys/Maths at Advanced Level and possibly at Subsidiary level if not offered at a higher level, OR, International/European Bacalaureate including at least two of Bio/Chem/Phys/Maths at Higher Level and possibly at Standard Level if not offered at HL. The precise requirements vary depending on institution, some may prefer straight science students other are more flexible. You should ideally contact the schools you're interested in as they may or may not accept a greater range of qualifications, eg US AP, SAT or SAT II exams. The UK Clinical Aptitude Test or the BioMedical Admissions test is required - which one depends on the school. You can only apply to 4 schools in any one year.

For graduate applications, generally, an honours degree with a mininum 2.1 classification usually in any discipline. Additionally MSAT/GAMSAT/etc depending on the institution. I'm not sure if these programs are open to non-UK applicants though..

Financial -

Fees for international applicants can be high, up to and over US$40,000 per annum for tuition and probably 10-20k more for housing and living costs depending on location.

4. ROBINHO

ROBINHO Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    offtopid

How does the English Medical System works.

5 years of Medical School

Then housemanship(how many years)??? Could one apply for Residency in the USA after Med School or one would have to do the housemanship be4 one becomes elligible for Residency in the USA

5. etjaipleure

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Thanks for the info. Actually, $40,000 is not that bad. It can be twice as much or even more not counting housing, just for med school, in the US. I'm just trying to get all my options.