English pre-med requirement in summer school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mzk4lyfe101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a incoming freshmen and they way I signed up for my classes it will be hard to fit in the 2 semesters of English (for the pre-med requirment) during the school year. I could do it my sophmore year but I really dont want to because of Orgo and other intense classes.

I was thinking of taking BOTH semesters of English during the summer after freshmen year. Is this detrimental to my admission to medial school in the future? I will probably be taking summer school as a 4 year institution rather then a community college which I heard is a bit better in terms of Medical School admissions.

Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I sorta have a question relevant to this thread also. I'm an incoming freshman pre-med student and have 21 credit hours coming in from Houston Community College that I took while still in high school/the summer before freshman year of college (now). Will this affect me negatively? I just took basic core classes, not any required pre-med ones. I'm not going to take anymore classes at the community college obviously since I am beginning my freshman year at a university. However, I will be classified as a sophomore next semester meaning I can probably graduate from college a semester early. Is this a bad thing in the eyes of medical schools? And I am speaking for all medical schools (the ivys and normal ones).

Members don't see this ad :)
eh - I don't think they'll care that you took English in the summer. It's possibly a good idea to take it at a 4 yr college.

Taking organic in the summer might raise a few eyebrows but not English or other random courses.

Both semesters of Physics and Gen Chem in the summer for this one. No one seemed to care. It was at my degree school, don't know if that helped.

Sorry, I've been out of college for a few years, and I'm curious about this: lots of students seem worried about satisfying the year of English for med schools. When I was in school, a year of English was a requirement for any BA, regardless of major.

Has this changed? Can you get a BA without ever having taken freshman comp or any other English class?

OP- I wouldn't sweat it. I can't imagine a prereq that the med schools care less about than English. Think of it as the writing score on your MCAT.

notdeadyet said:
Sorry, I've been out of college for a few years, and I'm curious about this: lots of students seem worried about satisfying the year of English for med schools. When I was in school, a year of English was a requirement for any BA, regardless of major.

Has this changed? Can you get a BA without ever having taken freshman comp or any other English class?

OP- I wouldn't sweat it. I can't imagine a prereq that the med schools care less about than English. Think of it as the writing score on your MCAT.

I'm an engineer and based on my SAT II Writing score I was able to get away without having to take a single english course at my university (I did have to fulfill some other humanity requirements though). I still ended up taking english though because of the premed requirements, but for my major itself I didn't need them. A year or two ago, the college of engineering at my school revamped its humanities requirements, but it only applied to incoming freshmen and future classes.

Then again, engineering at my school is a BS rather than BA, as I suspect it is at most other schools....

Huh. I didn't realize that you could test out of English with an SAT score. Live and learn.

I took many classes in summer. no one seemed to bother. not even a single question on that. I think as long as you do good u are ok. Also, try to do your pre-reqs at 4-yr college (some schools like Wake Forest specifically say that they won't take any pre-reqs taken at community college and such) but for other, as asked by another poster, it should be fine I guess but ask the schools directly. My feeling is that for non pre-reqs no one is going to bother where u took 'em.

It generally doesn't matter when you take courses....as a freshman utilize the premed advisors and don't start obsessing too much. The english courses can change by school as well. My university we are required the second english class for everyone (I think) but it is based on major. My second one is a technical writing course which they kind of make impossible to schedule for freshman and sometimes first semester sophomores with other required courses. I had my first english class done through my high school but it was a college credit (not ap) and all they did was transfer it as the english class but I didn't get any grade points for it...If a medical school later on says you need to take another course..whatever it is before matriculation. Then I'd worry about it....but I assume you are going to take plenty of science credits to have a true gpa....until told otherwise.

MossPoh said:
....as a freshman utilize the premed advisors and don't start obsessing too much.

You can never start obsessing too early. :laugh:
A lot of schools take the English requirement seriously and will make you take them. Sometimes literature and writing intensive classes won't count if offered by non-English departments. In most (but not all) cases, you can pick the courses up just prior to matriculation, but summers should be fine. I say go for it, get them under your belt, and be done (unless you decide you like English, in which case take more).