English Pre Requisite requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I took one semester of English at a community college, but I will be fulfilling the rest of the English requirement at my 4 year which is on the quarter system

So will one semester and one quarter of English fulfill the English pre-req requirement or will I need to take two quarters of English?

All help is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The requirements for schools differ. Some require one year of English, which you will not have done. Others require 6 credits, which it sounds like you will have. It might be worth throwing in one more class to cover everything, but if you don't, you could always take it right before you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
So a school will not reject an applicant if a requirement is not completed? If you are in fact missing a requirement and they accept you, will they let you know that you have until a certain date to complete the requirement or is it your responsibility to complete it yourself? How does this all work? Thanks!

This is cut/pasted from the CU school of medicine website
http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...tion/Admissions/apply/Pages/Requirements.aspx

On interview days, students will receive information in their packets detailing all of the requirements, and the extent to which these have been met. Students do not have to complete all requirements at the time of application, but must do so by matriculation. Students should pay special attention to the 6 hour English requirement, as this requirement is often the one that is most problematic to fulfill, and some students have had to scramble to find a course that fulfills the English requirement before matriculation.

It is only one school's take on things, but I think it answers your questions. CUSOM requires one year (6 credits) of English.

Background: I took one semester of English at a community college, but I will be fulfilling the rest of the English requirement at my 4 year which is on the quarter system

So will one semester and one quarter of English fulfill the English pre-req requirement or will I need to take two quarters of English?

All help is appreciated! :)

Depends on the requirement. Imho, most med schools require 1-1.5 years of English (6-9 credit hours). That means that you would have to take 1-3 more quarters of English.

the requirements for schools differ. Some require one year of english, which you will not have done. Others require 6 credits, which it sounds like you will have. It might be worth throwing in one more class to cover everything, but if you don't, you could always take it right before you matriculate.

+1