English Requirement for Med. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanAmPremed

CAD > USD - It's true :D
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be applying to med school next year and I noticed the English requirement (specifically a 1 year credit in english) in American Schools. I am currently attending a canadian university and am taking a full year course under the english department called "The Grammatical Structure of English." The thing is, I'm worried this won't be accepted by the med schools, becasue its not your standard english course, infact there is no essay writing at all in this course. As well this course is crosslisted under the linguistics department. The course code is ENG2060 (cross listed as LING2060). And the description of the course is

An introduction to the linguistic description of English, with emphasis on phonetics, phonology (sound patterns), morphology (word structure) and syntax (sentence structure). The focus is contemporary Canadian English, but other varieties of English are also considered. The goal is to describe the linguistic knowledge of English speakers, rather than present a prescriptive grammar of English. Discussion also covers social and stylistic levels (e.g. colloquial and formal), and contexts of language use.​

So do you guys think I'll have a problem applying with this course as my english?

Peace

Members don't see this ad.

that sounds like it should be fine. i think the requirement is more leaning towards a literature type course because they want "well-rounded" applicants. but i would think any english course should be fine. i took a descriptive english grammar course in undergrad, and have gotten no questions about it from any of the schools i applied to.

What does everyone else think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh? What was that?

I speak perfect Anglais

I AM CANADIAN

:laugh:

Who taugh "Y'all" how to speak. Crazy yanks ;)

Seriously guys,

can anyone else help me with the above mentioned question?

the only way you're going to get a definitive answer is to ask your advisor and/or call up some schools you want to apply to and ask them directly. by the way, what schools are you applying to that actually require a year of english? i applied to 15 schools and i don't remember a single one of them specifically requiring any english courses...

jbrice1639 said:
the only way you're going to get a definitive answer is to ask your advisor and/or call up some schools you want to apply to and ask them directly. by the way, what schools are you applying to that actually require a year of english? i applied to 15 schools and i don't remember a single one of them specifically requiring any english courses...

?? - I applied to way more schools then you (back when I was applying) and all specifically required a year of english. Generally any course offered by an english department is going to satisfy, but I agree you should call and check with the school if you have any question.

Sound like it should be fine. I'm a bit curious myself as well.

I took 2 English classes in college, but the thing is my school (Ohio U) was on quarters, so the schools that say they want 2 semesters (1 yr) of Eng. I'm not sure about. I didn't have 1 yr. exactly, but I had 2 classes, same as someone who took 2 semesters. I wonder if it will fly?

Are you applying to Canadian schools? I don't think many of them specifically require an English course (in fact, many don't have any pre-req's other than a Bachelor's degree in something). What they do require is proficiency in written & spoken English, so they know you won't have any communication issues. (I think for Ottawa, you probably need English and/or French, and for Sherbrooke, French specifically.)

I was told by my premed advisor that they have never had a problem with the English requirements, and at my school composition classes are offered in each department and are thus very difficult to catch from an outsider's perspective. They have, however, had problems with people not fulfilling their chemistry requirements, which we also do a little differently. So, I would say it is safe to say that most schools only want to see eggheads taking non-science courses, but they are sticklers on the non-science majors.

That said, there are a few schools that will not accept anything but classes that say "ENGL" or "ENG" or whatever in the name. I do not know the names of these schools, perhaps check the MSAR?