kangho

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I will be a senior applying to medical school this year and just had my AMCAS verified. Unfortunately, I just realized that many of the schools I am applying to (esp those in NY, my dream) require two semesters of English, which I have not taken or designated on my AMCAS as a future class. Even though I could still very well take English my senior year, am I now inelligible to even apply to these schools? Or should I still apply and say somewhere that I will take them, hoping they won't mind? What should I do? :eek:

Oh, this is my first post so please be gentle! I was a little ignorant about the application process and I'm hoping you guys could help me out with my problem. Thanks in advance!

Rocket3004

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
kangho said:
I will be a senior applying to medical school this year and just had my AMCAS verified. Unfortunately, I just realized that many of the schools I am applying to (esp those in NY, my dream) require two semesters of English, which I have not taken or designated on my AMCAS as a future class. Even though I could still very well take English my senior year, am I now inelligible to even apply to these schools? Or should I still apply and say somewhere that I will take them, hoping they won't mind? What should I do? :eek:

Oh, this is my first post so please be gentle! I was a little ignorant about the application process and I'm hoping you guys could help me out with my problem. Thanks in advance!

I'm still an AMCAS n00b, but I *think* you can update your application. So if your schedule isnt set in stone, then take the english class and add it to your AMCAS.

BTW I think most schools require you to have the requirements met by matriculation, not application, and esp. if its a class like english and you appear pretty competnent in that area... unlike my horrible spelling and grammer in this post.

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
i don't know how it is with NY schools, but some secondaries ask for possible future course work or ask about which prereqs you are going to take next year. screening schools, as far as i know, don't base it on past coursework. the majority of schools just ask that you complete the prereqs by the time you begin attending their school. as long as you are going to do them, i wouldn't worry too much. good luck and WELCOME!!!

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
kangho said:

still apply...some secondaries ask you what courses you have taken in order to satisfy prerecquites....you can just write fot the second english course that it is a future course........the prerecs have to be done before the summer you matriculate...but thats all....

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
hey just wonderig...why didnt you retake the MCAT.....my scores are similar to ures and just wondering what your reason was..

who are you talking to? me?

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Most schools just require English before matriculation, not interviewing. You should be warned however that a few out there will require it to be completed by the end of the fall semester. By now though it seems like you know which of your desired schools require this class (I can sympathize, I'm an engineer with the same problem with English as you). A quick email to the respective admission offices explaining your situation would probably end some stress on your end and be a written record of your intentions on their end. But definitely look into updating AMCAS first. Good luck getting this all cleared up!

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
yes...for some reason its didnt qutoe you..

i asked a lot of people including my premed advisor and a friend that is in med school (she got a 29). they said my GPA is strong and my ECs are decent. they just said to get everything in early and i still have a good shot. plus, i didn't want to pay $210 to retake, didn't want to study over the summer(i have enough other stuff going on), and didn't feel like i could do much better in the short amount of time i had.

OP
K

kangho

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for all your advice! My amcas has been verified so it says I can't update my course work anymore. I guess I should email all those schools requiring English and see what they say?

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
spospo said:
i asked a lot of people including my premed advisor and a friend that is in med school (she got a 29). they said my GPA is strong and my ECs are decent. they just said to get everything in early and i still have a good shot. plus, i didn't want to pay $210 to retake, didn't want to study over the summer(i have enough other stuff going on), and didn't feel like i could do much better in the short amount of time i had.

WHERE did your friend end up at.....andwhat were here stats..GPA (if you dont mind me asking).. :idea:

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
kangho said:
Thanks for all your advice! My amcas has been verified so it says I can't update my course work anymore. I guess I should email all those schools requiring English and see what they say?
email them if you want. i really don't think it is a huge deal UNLESS you are not going to take them. if you want a little more info out of them and when you need to finish it by, then go ahead and email. sometimes that stuff is hard to find on the website i know. good luck

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
WHERE did your friend end up at.....andwhat were here stats..GPA (if you dont mind me asking).. :idea:

she is at creighton now. i don't know her gpa or anything. she went to a pretty small college is all i know. she took it in april and didn't do great, so she retook in august and got the 29.

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
spospo said:
she is at creighton now. i don't know her gpa or anything. she went to a pretty small college is all i know. she took it in april and didn't do great, so she retook in august and got the 29.

I AM worried because all that i have talked to said a 28 isnt all that great and since i applied already....i feel like i am going to get rejected and have wasted money,money, money.....i have a good GPA as well but i feel unerqualified....you seem confident...

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kangho said:

What worries me about this is that once you are verified, you can't change stuff in your AMCAS. If you hadn't submitted yet, you could designate your courses as In Progress or whatever. I am sure, though, that you are not the first Senior to ever change your courses and need to update the medical school. I bet that this would be the kind of thing you would want to put in the "Additional Information" section of your Secondary. A quick call to the medical school(s) in question probably wouldn't hurt. They are going to want to see final transcripts anyhow, usually as an acceptance requirement.

CA-MedStudent

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
If you are on a quarter system, is English requirement fulfilled by taking two quarters of a english composition class and a comparative literature class or do you need another Writing class in a GE field? Thanks

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you are on the quarter system you need THREE quarters of something worth FOUR units to equal ONE YEAR (TWO SEMESTERS) on the Semester system.

Rocket3004

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
So once verified, I cannot make changes to my AMCAS?

I have NO idea what classes I am going to take in winter, and it will most definietly change even if I did have an idea.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Rocket3004 said:
So once verified, I cannot make changes to my AMCAS?

I have NO idea what classes I am going to take in winter, and it will most definietly change even if I did have an idea.
Right. Notice if you go into your application, and click on the sections (all but personal information) it has big red banners across the top that say that you've submitted and you can't make changes.

cdngirl80

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Status
Hey I wouldn't worry about the english requirement and not having it listed because I don't have an english course and I've talked to a few schools and they said as long as i have it before i matriculate I'm ok...although I'm trying to get them to take my grade 13 english (unfortunately in ontario they used to make us do 5 years of english :rolleyes: )

browniegirl86

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Portland, OR
Status
Attending Physician
This is something I had a problem with too, although mine just came from AP-ing out of all my Englis requirements for undergrad and not having any actual/upper-division coursework.

Cornell's admissions people told me that if I took a writing-intensive type course (I had), and if I could get my undergrad institution to write a letter stating that it was equivalent to the amount of composition required in an English course (they did) it could sub for the English req.

So yeah, just to back up everyone else, email the admissions offices, and you can probably take an English class (possibly two if a school requires it by the end of Fall and you want it bad enough) senior year to cover all the reqs. It could even be a nice easy class to counteract all your science classes.

Rocket3004

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
jackieMD2007 said:
Right. Notice if you go into your application, and click on the sections (all but personal information) it has big red banners across the top that say that you've submitted and you can't make changes.
For some reason I thought you could.

So what happens if say, I get verified, and say for ex. that I get job working in a lab somewhere (that's relevant to medicine/my application/etc.)? Would you just email all the schools saying that you now are working at this place, or would that be something to include in secondaries?

Same thing, but about classes. What if my classes do change from what I put on Amcas Future classes? Just email ALL the schools I applied to (am still applying to/waiting to hear at that point in time??)

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
The new medical job would be fodder for either a secondary or an interest letter (those tools of desperation sent to a school late in the admissions process proclaiming your increased greatness and undying love for said institution).

As far as classes go, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's truly important. Something along the lines of, "I dropped organic chem and likely won't be able to make it up until the summer after I graduate." Not "I switched from Art 101 to Philosophy 102 during change period."

Rocket3004

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Dr Durden said:
The new medical job would be fodder for either a secondary or an interest letter (those tools of desperation sent to a school late in the admissions process proclaiming your increased greatness and undying love for said institution).

As far as classes go, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's truly important. Something along the lines of, "I dropped organic chem and likely won't be able to make it up until the summer after I graduate." Not "I switched from Art 101 to Philosophy 102 during change period."
Ah. But wait, new job = not worth mentioning b/c its a "last ditch effort and comes across poorly", or YES save it for secondaries and letters of intent/interest

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Rocket3004 said:
Ah. But wait, new job = not worth mentioning b/c its a "last ditch effort and comes across poorly", or YES save it for secondaries and letters of intent/interest
Well a new job might be harder to spin on the secondaries since they tend to be more "tell us about yourself" and probe personally meaningful things. A job in which you haven't received your first paycheck hopefully won't be one of your most defining moments (yet).

Though we're broaching the subject of letters of intent a few months early, having something new to say, no matter how obvious a ploy it might be, would seem to trump a simple "I :love: you, *insert name of school here*. Please review my AMCAS again." Something along the lines of "My new job helping to cure AIDs in Dr. Nobel's lab has only deepened my commitment to the field of medicine since my interview in the fall. It has given me renewed motivation in my studies...blah blah blah" I'm sure you're as skilled in the arts of BSing as much as the rest of us and can take it from there ;) .

OP
K

kangho

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys.

I emailed a bunch of schools last night and they all replied today pretty much saying it wasn't a big deal as long as I did it by matriculation. The only problem seemed to be that some schools don't accept AP credit, so you may have to take an English class. Some schools do allow you to sub English with a Humanities or Philosophy class. They said if there really was a problem they'd tell me during interview, but who knows, maybe they're just trying to sucker out a $100 secondary fee? :laugh:

Thanks for all your responses.

yobynaes

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Seattle
Status
Attending Physician
several schools ask specific date/month when you are expecting to complete their pre-med course requirement on their secondaries, eg. george washington; some schools ask you to update your info on their secondary, eg. loyola. i really don't think it's going to be a problem. you should be able to find a way to let the schools know that you are going to complete their requirements.

hey, at least your school offers english class. im in a small private tech school offering no english class (that's also why engineers can't speak english). when i decided to go to med school half way through college, the english requirement really worried me. then i found out a lot of pre-meds (my school has a pretty big pre-med program) from my school never took any english class. :rolleyes:
well, i was happy for a while until i realized that literature classes can be used as english credits on the AMCAS. So now, down to my final semester, im adding six credits of literature classes onto my over-crowded schdule, making it a 22 hr semester. with the help of interviews, i should be able to skip half of the classes next semester. :(

moral of the story: life can be a b!tch, but there's always a way to beat it. :thumbup: