English Requirement substituted with "writing-intensive" designated course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDrDre

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My school mentions that most dental schools will accept their writing-intensive courses to fulfill the English requirement. Is this true at all/most schools in your experience? I have taken many designated writing-intensive courses but only one English course. Would you recommend I take an additional English course? Is an "English Composition" course anything under the ENGL prefix? I would be doing it after I graduate but still have to take physics so it would be a bit much. TIA for your input

--one lost but happy pre-dent:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same position with 1 English/literature class and 1 writing intensive class. The writing intensive class was accepted by most schools. I did end up taking a creative writing class to be safe. I would recommend emailing your top choice schools to verify what will be accepted. An “English composition” class usually means a writing course such as technical writing, creative writing, or the basic college writing course required by a lot of undergrad schools. Classes like literature or classes focused on reading books would not be accepted by “English composition” requirements.

Again, I would recommend emailing your top schools and asking if your classes would satisfy their requirements. I’m just a second year applicant so I certainly don’t know everything haha.