English Requirement (UCSD undergrad related)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawnk1021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did the same thing as you (only took Hum1 and 2). So far I have gotten interviews at all the UCs (except UCLA, ugh) and some outside of the state. Having only two quarters of Hum wont hold you back in getting interviews or acceptances. All I can say is to go ahead and apply. BTW you dont have to complete all the requirements while your applying. If you do have to take another English class, you just need to complete it before matriculating...so you should be fine.

I did the same thing as you (only took Hum1 and 2). So far I have gotten interviews at all the UCs (except UCLA, ugh) and some outside of the state. Having only two quarters of Hum wont hold you back in getting interviews or acceptances. All I can say is to go ahead and apply. BTW you dont have to complete all the requirements while your applying. If you do have to take another English class, you just need to complete it before matriculating...so you should be fine.

Congrats on your USC acceptance!

As far as I know, USC requires a ridiculous number of social science/humanities courses according to their admissions web page. So, what pre-req courses did you take to apply to USC?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely take another quarter of English. A lot of med schools require a full year of English and two quarters wont cut it (and history/philosophy wont count at many schools). I took Muir 40 and 50 for two of my quarters and an English Literature course for my final quarter and these have fulfilled the requirement at the school I plan on matriculating to. If you haven't even started applying you should have time to sneak in another English course, even if it's at a CC. Just don't sleep on it or it may end up biting you in the butt. Good luck!

I'd definitely take another quarter of English. A lot of med schools require a full year of English and two quarters wont cut it (and history/philosophy wont count at many schools). I took Muir 40 and 50 for two of my quarters and an English Literature course for my final quarter and these have fulfilled the requirement at the school I plan on matriculating to. If you haven't even started applying you should have time to sneak in another English course, even if it's at a CC. Just don't sleep on it or it may end up biting you in the butt. Good luck!

What was the other English Lit class you took at UCSD? I also need one more quarter of English to fulfill the year. Did you take it as P/NP or letter grade? What English class would you recommend that's fairly easy to get an A in? English/Writing is not my best subject.

What was the other English Lit class you took at UCSD? I also need one more quarter of English to fulfill the year. Did you take it as P/NP or letter grade? What English class would you recommend that's fairly easy to get an A in? English/Writing is not my best subject.

I took Comparative Ethnic Literature: Representations of the US War in Vietnam, with Mariscal (great Prof. fyi), but this was a few years back. I took the class for a grade. It wouldn't call it an easy A, but I enjoyed the topic and did well. I haven't taken many English classes besides the ones I mentioned in this thread so I don't have any recommendations. Just pick a topic you think you might find interesting. That usually helps.