English Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankanator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have seen that some schools have english requirements . . . like 1 year, so two classes . . . i don't remember the schools specifically, maybe Stanford does? . . . anyway, I was wondering what the deal is with this . . . i got placement credit for two english classes and i took a literature class my freshman year . . . will this count as my year, or do schools want a year of actual classes with actual grades to go next to them . . . i'm also asking because i remember reading on one of the websites that AP credit did not count for the requirements, so i guess i wondered about regular placement credit . . . thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools require 2 semesters (one year) of English.

Most schools accept AP credit for requirements (off hand I know Medical College of Wisconsin does not--that it the only one the the 13 schools I applied to that does not)

You would need to check individually with the schools you are going to apply to. FYI- you can go to <a href="http://www.aamc.org" target="_blank">www.aamc.org</a> and click on medical schools (it's on the left) to find links to all med schools...

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions about this or if it doesn't make sense.

hey,

i am english deficient, the u of washington only required a quarter of english to graduate, which is 1/3 of a school year, i got that through ap credit, so i didn't take any english in college.

i have recieved four interviews so far this year and two or three of them have been at schools that require a year of english. so i haven't had any problems with it so far, i have written on my apps that i will take some english this coming summer, but if they don't bring it up, i am not going to do much about it.

in the big scheme of things, i don't think it is that big of deal, and besides, it sounds like you have plenty of english credit, if it counts on your transcript, i imagine most med schools will also acknowledge it as well. best of luck.