English requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frozentears

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some medical schools require a year of English. I'm planning to take a ENSP class (Special Topics in Literature). Does this count as an English requirement? Also, does an intensive writing in a different department, such as Philosophy, count?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like input on this also. I took the standard freshman English course, but the only other lit/writing courses I took were in the Classics and Theater departments. The pre-med advisor from my alma mater said the Classics course I took would suffice for the 2nd semester of English/writing, but I'm still nervous that other schools won't think so.

My ENGL department provides only "History of the Literature," "History of the Literature II" and "History of the Literature III". But we do have ENWR (writing), ENAM (American Literature), and so on. I think I will just take ENSP, specifically "Deafness in Literature and Film." Because it says literature, I assume medical schools would notice that it's an English class. Or do they just look at the code like "ENGL" and "ENSP"? I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed PCOM a while back and was told that one writing course and one literature course should be fine, after I explained to them that I didn't have a single course from the actual English department. If really concerned, I'd email some schools and ask them.

Most of the "experts" here on SDN think that liberal arts classes are grade inflated and easy As, so my recommendation to anybody worried about this is to boost your GPA with more English classes!

Most of the "experts" here on SDN think that liberal arts classes are grade inflated and easy As, so my recommendation to anybody worried about this is to boost your GPA with more English classes!

:thumbdown:
It so frustrates me when people rag on liberal arts courses. I may be a biochemist now, but my lowest grades were in poetry, and I transferred out of Spanish and into Boichemistry becuase I found it easier.

Literature/English courses should suffice. What department title are they under? In a worst case scenario, if you find that your current English/Literature courses don't meet the requirements, you could always tack one on at the end of your senior year, provided you have room.

I took a writing intensive class about ancient Rome and every medical school recognized it as sufficient for a second English class. You just have to explain to them that a class is writing intensive to get it recognized as so.

:thumbdown:
It so frustrates me when people rag on liberal arts courses. I may be a biochemist now, but my lowest grades were in poetry, and I transferred out of Spanish and into Boichemistry becuase I found it easier.

Literature/English courses should suffice. What department title are they under? In a worst case scenario, if you find that your current English/Literature courses don't meet the requirements, you could always tack one on at the end of your senior year, provided you have room.

That would be true if I was still in college, but I graduated 3 years ago, so I'm really hoping my Classics class is sufficient. It does sound like it will though, according to the pre-med advisor at the alma mater (and flyingdutchman :) )

That would be true if I was still in college, but I graduated 3 years ago, so I'm really hoping my Classics class is sufficient. It does sound like it will though, according to the pre-med advisor at the alma mater (and flyingdutchman :) )

Aren't the non-science reqs like English and math usually only required to be completed prior to med matriculation? I know I read that somewhere...in other words, you are not screened out for not having this done during the app cycle?...and if true, it sounds like you can take something at a CC to satisfy the req if it becomes an issue...

it simplifies your AMCAS a lot if everything is on one transcript, so doing it at a CC at the last minute isn't a great idea. When you fill out AMCAS, you can designate what type of class it is, so even if your school doesn't have "english 103" per se, on the AMCAS you can designate a class as english. Read up on the instructions in the AMCAS site, this should clear things up. When in doubt, call the schools you're looking at and ask them.

Ditto to HumbleMD, Liberal Arts classes aren't necessarily easier than science. My history thesis was way more demanding than any of the upper division classes I took as a post bacc.