1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

English requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hopefulmed195, May 15, 2007.

1. hopefulmed195

2+ Year Member

I know there are many threads asking this, but please be patient with me. I took a literature class called "Greek Civilization." However, on transcript it says classics, not english. Will medical schools nevertheless know that it is a literature class, or is there any space on the application where I can explain that it is a literature class? One more question: Do I need to take a literature class and a writing class or 2 writing classes to meet an English requirement for medical schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You have to check with the schools you are interested in. Many schools are sticklers/inflexible about the english requirement. I know of several schools which did not accept literature courses not offered by the english department.

4. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would agree that you should check with the schools. My experience has been that they are willing to accept certain alternative classes if you explain how they should meet the english requirement. I've had schools accept both a speech class and a writing intensive communications class for my english requirement.

5. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    At my university, I never took any english classes per se. However, to satisfy this requirement for my degree, I took courses designated as "writing intensive". These courses also satisfied the one year english requirement for my medical school application.

Did you take courses to meet an english requirement at your school? Those will be the courses you list on your application.

Edit: like Law2Doc said though, check out the requirements at schools you're applying to as well. No point in wasting money applying to a school that will you reject you over their narrow definition of a course requirement that you do not satisfy.

6. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The 2008 AMCAS instructions define the following as English Courses:
    -English Composition and Rhetoric
    -English Creative Writing
    -English Language and Literature

Looking over the other course categories, it looks as though you can list that Greek Civilization class under the "English Language and Literature" category, since there is no "Classics" category on the AMCAS application.

7. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Again, I know folks who took literature courses offered by other departments, very similar to what is described by the OP, which DID NOT QUALIFY for the english requirement of schools they were admitted to, notwithstanding your interpretation of the AMCAS instructions. Check with the schools you are interested in (or know that there is a risk you will be taking English in your post-acceptance summer, which is what someone I know had to do). Some places are inflexible.