Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

English requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fakesmile, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

For most schools, does ANY English course suffice as long as it has the course title "ENGL #"?
    Also, is it enough to take only 2 English courses if you're in a trisemester school?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    engl= writing essays.
    one year is usually what they mean- most schools are semester so 2 courses is one year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    If it starts with ENGL, you're probably okay. If your school is on the quarter system, then you'll probably need three quarters to equal one year of course work. Check with your school's pre-professional advising office. :) Good luck!

4. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Literature courses count...one of mine was a course entitled Major American Authors. Doesn't have to be a writing class. I was on a quarter system in college and had to take 3 courses.

5. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    did you have to write stuff?
    i hate writing stuff in english class.
    i get in trouble alllll the time. :(:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

6. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    A little bit, but not nearly as much as in typical English or Language Arts. My other two courses were Expository Writing and Argument + Research (Writ 39B and 39C for you Anteaters out there;)). I didn't mind the writing in my Argument and Research course...I hate writing about books I've read and trying to figure out the "theme" the author was portraying.

7. Datdoctor

Removed

Sorry to Hijack this thread sort of but I actually have a question on similar footing. For my second English course we could choose between different "second english courses." I did one that was about Comparative Studies. We had to do writing assignments every day and had a few papers through out the quarter. Will Med Schools accept this as an "English" course even though it isn't listed in the director as English (insert #)

8. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Here's the thing. When you list your courses in AMCAS, you put the designation (i.e. English 101, Writing 39, etc) and you put the course name. If they can't easily gather from either one of those things that this course would fall under English/Writing/Literature, then you might run into a few roadblocks. You might have to explain to some med schools what the class is about. It'll just be a headache...anyone ever have a huge problem with this? "Comparative Studies" sounds a little ambiguous if that's all it says and the designation isn't obvious.