English requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancinqt5013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that lots of medical schools have an english requirement, and the main reason is for writing, correct? Well, my school's english department only has literature based classes, nothing is specifically writing intensive. Will that be okay? My college is in canada, and english isn't normally a requirement for canadian med-schools, I guess. But I want to go back to the states for med-school, so I need the requirement somehow. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? I was thinking of taking a writing intensive english class at a CC over the summer, but would that look okay? I'm only a sophomore so I have some time, but I want to make sure I have this requirement, I already have everything else. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

A CC would be fine, or you can look for writing intensive classes in other depts.

I have a question in regard to this also. Will any writing intensive do or is this just English specifically. I am a history major and have taken loads of writing intensive courses, in addition to my sciences. My adviser told me I needed to take an English course, and if I could avoid it I would very much like to replace that with a science course of some sort (or an easier course in general :D). I also AP tested out of a lower level English so my adviser actually told me I needed two English courses. Is the requirement specifically English, or just writing intensive?

Generally speaking, the statement is English.

That said, they're looking for the ability to communicate in writing. It used to be that the only place you did that was comp and lit. This is no longer the case.