English speaking veterinarian in Montreal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahied0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if language will be a barrier for this situation. can an English speaking veterinarian find a decent job or training opportunities in the veterinary field in Montreal if he is not speaking French.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not 100% on this but I think you need to speak french to work in Montreal, Quebec. I have the google-translate add-on on my web browser. It says you need to provide proficiency in French to be admitted to the Order which allows you to practice in Quebec.

Admission à l'Ordre

I am primarily English-speaking and from Montréal but I have chosen to start vet school in Ontario (I have residency there) and will not be returning to Montréal to practice when I graduate. No clinic will hire a strictly English-speaking vet as the majority of clients you see will be French (and a lot lack even a basic understanding of English!). It will also be difficult for you to pass the French test to be admitted to the Québec Association of Veterinarians to practice and would require many months of studying the language. Montréal is a great city but I don't recommend this path, look elsewhere in Canada!

I would like to know if language will be a barrier for this situation. can an English speaking veterinarian find a decent job or training opportunities in the veterinary field in Montreal if he is not speaking French.
If you don't have any French, you won't be able to pass the licensing exam to work in Quebec.