English?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, never mind.

Members don't see this ad.

*slap* [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8-yyTgt_o[/YOUTUBE]

I don't get it. It was pretty funny, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently took a class about ancient Rome, and there were a lot of reading involved. This isn't a big deal but I have to explain what I did in class: I wrote a 2-page paper every week analyzing the reading assignments as well as a long paper to analyze a long epic poem. I was required to take a discussion separate from lecture to discuss the reading assignments. To me, it seems an English class because there's an enormous load of reading and analysis of poems, stories, etc. However, this is listed in Classics department. Is it acceptable to include this class as an English requirement?

So you took it under your HISTORY deparment, I presume?

i have sort of a similar question...

can comparative literature count as english? i took a comparative literature class that was also designated as a writing requirement at my school.

or does an english class mean without a question a class in the english department?

so just because you read books and wrote papers over them you think it should count as an english class? If that's the case then one of my history classes was an english class; doesn't make sense does it? The way I see it is that you just took a class that required alot of reading and writing...unless your school has it in writing somewhere that this particular class can be used to fulfill an english requirement, it isn't.

I recently took a class about ancient Rome, and there were a lot of reading involved. This isn't a big deal but I have to explain what I did in class: I wrote a 2-page paper every week analyzing the reading assignments as well as a long paper to analyze a long epic poem. I was required to take a discussion separate from lecture to discuss the reading assignments. To me, it seems an English class because there's an enormous load of reading and analysis of poems, stories, etc. However, this is listed in Classics department. Is it acceptable to include this class as an English requirement?

Check your undergrad requirements pages in your course catalog. If this class is noted as OK to use as an English class, you got lucky. If it doesn't say something to the effect of "can be used to fill English requirement" then you're out of luck.

But, being a smart kid, I bet you already knew that (or had contacted your advisor to ask) and are just rattling cages here on SDN, right?

Some schools will actually accept humanities courses such as that one to fulfill the English requirement. However, there are others that want to see you take an English course...it's lame, but easy to fulfill...and you can even wait to do it the summer before you matriculate.