Enlarged lymph nodes? What does it mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My gf has had these "lumps" under her arms for many months. They hurt her at times. She now also has an enlarged lymph node in her groin tha tis actually red and raised. She went to her doctor and although he didn't thinkit was something to worry about, he is sending her to a hematolgoist/oncologist. huh? and that's not something to worry about? :scared: Anyone have ideas of what it could be?

edit: opps I meant to put this in allopathic

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my laymans' knowledge, I would say it is either an infection or cancer. Cancer cells are often spread via the lymphatics. For this reason, for instance, when a mastectomy is performed for breast cancer, the axillary lymph nodes are removed as well. Given her young age, I find cancer unlikely, but she should definitely see her doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
many months? hmm...I was gonna say mono given her age b/c lymph nodes tend to swell and its so common in college students. But I've never heard of it lasting many months just at that stage without fever etc. setting in...

painful nodes,especialy with that distribution and timeline,does not sound like cancer and I would not be conerned

I hope it turns out to be nothing and your gf is ok, psycho :luck:

redclover said:
many months? hmm...I was gonna say mono given her age b/c lymph nodes tend to swell and its so common in college students. But I've never heard of it lasting many months just at that stage without fever etc. setting in...
She actually had mono and the doctor didn't think it was related. She said she had some of these "lumps" months before the mono.

Idiopathic said:
Hydradenitis suppurativa is always a possibility.
hmmm..i don't feel like looking that up, care to tell me what it is? :confused:

Are the enlarged lymph nodes on both of her armpits and her groin? If yeah, go get a HIV test to rule it out. If they're only on one side then don't worry. If she shaves her armpits and groin then I'd bet it's just infected hair follicles. People ALWAYS confuse those with swollen lymph nodes.

Sage880 said:
Are the enlarged lymph nodes on both of her armpits and her groin? If yeah, go get a HIV test to rule it out. If they're only on one side then don't worry. If she shaves her armpits and groin then I'd bet it's just infected hair follicles. People ALWAYS confuse those with swollen lymph nodes.
her dr did mention swollen hair follicles....but 3 areas??? the lumps are on both sides of her arms but only one side of her groin. HIV??? never heard of that rule for HIV. There's no way I can imagine her getting HIV. :(

Psycho Doctor said:
her dr did mention swollen hair follicles....but 3 areas??? the lumps are on both sides of her arms but only one side of her groin. HIV??? never heard of that rule for HIV. There's no way I can imagine her getting HIV. :(
I'm pretty sure enlarged lymph nodes are a normal sign of recent HIV infection.

But, I had a female friend who had the same signs. She even showed them to me and I was SURE they were enlarged lymph nodes (and I've seen a bunch). Turned out they were infected hair follicles. The infection is so far under the skin that it really raises up and looks like a lymph node. But I think whenever they're red they're usually infected hair follicles. If she doesn't have any sketchy sexual history then I'd bet my money on them being that. The blood test would show if it's anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, in retrospect, it's pretty crappy of me to go and mention something like HIV right off the bat. Those signs could be anything minor and you shouldn't worry. Don't know why I just immediately thought of that. Sorry!

malingering or munchausen

yeah PD, is she into hair removal? could definately be it based on my girl knowledge :)!

When I was in Peace Corps, many of the female volunteers tended to get infected follicles that looked a lot like swollen lymph nodes and freaked everyone one of us out, given the range of infectious diseases to which we were exposed (including plague). Those are the areas women are likely to shave-it is bathing suit weather. It was always worse with heat and humidity. Warm compresses usually did the trick and often we were told ixnay on anti-perspirant, deodorant only. Hope that's all it is. Good luck.

With swollen lymph nodes, pain=noncancer. I cannot understand the hem/onc consult. I hope everything turns out alright. It's an infection of some sort.

my girlfriend had a couple infected follicles in these areas and it was awsome to squeeze and drain them, like popping enourmous pimples. you should do this, it's so much fun. if she says no, just do it while she's sleeping.

nighttrain said:
my girlfriend had a couple infected follicles in these areas and it was awsome to squeeze and drain them, like popping enourmous pimples. you should do this, it's so much fun. if she says no, just do it while she's sleeping.
you're disgusting. besides she's hundreds of miles away from me right now. :(

G0S2 said:
With swollen lymph nodes, pain=noncancer. I cannot understand the hem/onc consult. I hope everything turns out alright. It's an infection of some sort.

tinkerbelle said:
I hope it turns out to be nothing and your gf is ok, psycho :luck:

thanks, i'm sure she and therefore i was over-reacting.

crys20 said:
yeah PD, is she into hair removal? could definately be it based on my girl knowledge :)!
well as far as I know she shaves like most american girls do, nothing extreme. :oops:

Sage880 said:
BTW, in retrospect, it's pretty crappy of me to go and mention something like HIV right off the bat. Those signs could be anything minor and you shouldn't worry. Don't know why I just immediately thought of that. Sorry!
it's ok, i never really took it seriously since i know she's not promiscuous.

Even though I am no doc, but it sounds as she may have inected hair follicles. I hope everything turns out to be ok Psycho.

I agree, sounds like hydradenitis suppurativa. She may need a nice, juicy I&D. :)

Seriously, she should see her PCP or get a consult.

Blade28 said:
I agree, sounds like hydradenitis suppurativa. She may need a nice, juicy I&D. :)

Seriously, she should see her PCP or get a consult.
well she doesn't have the predisposing factors: African American or being over-weight; in fact she's very thin and does not sweat. She did see a doctor.

Psycho Doctor said:
well she doesn't have the predisposing factors: African American or being over-weight; in fact she's very thin and does not sweat. She did see a doctor.
hmm...something is screwed up with this thread; it listed Blade as the last poster when i posted a half a day after him/her

Psycho Doctor said:
hmm...something is screwed up with this thread; it listed Blade as the last poster when i posted a half a day after him/her

Same thing with me as well.

Psycho Doctor said:

I have no answers for you...just wanted to say that I had swollen nodes for months after a sinus infection. Nothing like having them on the back of your head and neck so everyone can come up with exotic diseases that you must have. They went down, just very slowly...
If she is still worried though maybe she should see a different IM doc. Good luck and I hope everything works out well.

nighttrain said:

That's funny, only med students/doctors would find something like squeezing pus out exciting. I see your excitment I would probably wanna pop em too. :laugh:

My gf has had these "lumps" under her arms for many months. They hurt her at times. She now also has an enlarged lymph node in her groin tha tis actually red and raised. She went to her doctor and although he didn't thinkit was something to worry about, he is sending her to a hematolgoist/oncologist. huh? and that's not something to worry about? :scared: Anyone have ideas of what it could be?

edit: opps I meant to put this in allopathic

At any given point, it is not unusual to have a few isolated, enlarged lymph nodes. the lymph system in your body is very much like the "garbage pick up" service. the lymph system is intimately connected with your blood system, and the lymph system with take the debris, old cells, damaged cells, bacteria/viruses, and basically all the "garbage" out of your blood. it then circulates and destroys that "garbage". it is very common to have enlarged lymph nodes, and if your doctor told you not to worry, then don't worry. if you lab work/blood work was clean, you are more than likely healthy. continue to eat well, rest, and care for your body. follow up with your specialized ct scan as your doctor suggests. good luck. if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Holy ****. They say the waits are long in Canada! It's been 3 years. The OP prolly kicked this girl and her lymph nodes to the curb long ago.

Or they got married because he can appreciate a woman who appreciates a freshly-shorn mons pubis...

;)

This thread should have been closed the first time it was asking for medical advice, so now it will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.