Enlisted reservist applying for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uljimah

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to graduate with a bachelors degree in two weeks as a non-traditional student. I did get into a two year post-bacc program, and also plan on enlisting into the Air Force Reserves. The commitment in the AF reserves is 6 years, I was wondering by the time I get to applying for medical school, would I just direct commission as a medical student officer-if I get into a med school? or would I still have to continue serving out my enlisted time?

I am not really trying to do drills during my time in medical school, and I read somewhere that if someone direct commissions as a medical student they will be placed on non-deployment status.

Is it even guaranteed for direct commission as a medical student if I get accepted to medical school as a enlisted reservist? Will there be any requirements/packets I need to complete?

What are ways to get non-deployment status during medical school when someone is already enlisted in the reserves? I am assuming it's through the HPSP program?

Thank you! I did tons of research and couldn't really find a definite answer for those who are already enlisted and applying for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there are reserve medical student programs. You can go enlisted to officer during your contract but this is not something that happens automatically. You will have to get a release from your CO and a recommendation letter. That stuff all comes after you get into medical school and start working with a medical recruiter. They help you with a big packet and then you will have to sign a new contract if you’re accepted into the program. Of course your command can always say no but that is rare. Otherwise you can always stay enlisted in medical school and finish your contract.

If you are trying to stay Air Force Reserves then that will probably be pretty difficult. I’m not even sure if they have medical student programs. You can look at Army MDSSP for a baseline offering of what is out there and how long it extends your service commitments. There is a lot of information otherwise on here about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes there are reserve medical student programs. You can go enlisted to officer during your contract but this is not something that happens automatically. You will have to get a release from your CO and a recommendation letter. That stuff all comes after you get into medical school and start working with a medical recruiter. They help you with a big packet and then you will have to sign a new contract if you’re accepted into the program. Of course your command can always say no but that is rare. Otherwise you can always stay enlisted in medical school and finish your contract.

If you are trying to stay Air Force Reserves then that will probably be pretty difficult. I’m not even sure if they have medical student programs. You can look at Army MDSSP for a baseline offering of what is out there and how long it extends your service commitments. There is a lot of information otherwise on here about that.

Interesting, would the HPSP program apply for enlistees as well? I am assuming it would work the same way as the MDSSP? Cause the AF Reserves does also have the HPSP program.

As for the MDSSP I understand how the program works, but something I am having trouble finding is can i choose when and how I get the stipend? For an example maybe I just need 6months x 4 stipend pay. Which should be 4 years of service obligation after board certified. Is this something I can do?

You can take MDSSP for however long you want it, usually depends on when you apply and get your commission. Usually people who take 1-2 years MDSSP didn't decide they wanted to join the military until later in medical school or had a delay in their application. For instance I took 3 years MDSSP and was enlisted in the Reserves at the time I got my commission. I had to drill for a little bit initially while in medical school until my commission went through. I believe you will have a renewed 8 years minimal service obligation once you get commissioned (but you can ask a recruiter to be sure). So if you only took 2 years MDSSP and had 4 years payback post-residency and did family medicine I believe you would still have 1 year minimal service to fulfill before you can ask to get out (3 years residency + 4 years payback = 7).

HPSP is active duty and is also a good option. You will make quite a bit more money initially while in school/training. Just decide if you want to do military active duty career or not for a least a few years post residency. There are a lot of posts on here about active duty training and future of being a physician in the military. Also take some time and look into active duty residency training options as well and decide if you like those options. Not every residency training pathway is available or plentiful in the military. You could get stuck applying to something you don't really want to do or doing GMO. If you do the Reserve option you can apply to any program in the country and match just like everyone else.