1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Enlisting in Military-please evaluate

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by mumiitroll, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mumiitroll

mumiitroll Membership Revoked
    Removed

Let's say you are on your way to applying to med school, did well on mcat, but instead you decide to enlist.. You took mcat just to ensure that 3 years later, if your scores expire, you know you can take it again and do just as well. You lose 4 years. Gi Bill might pay for medschool? But then you would be an extremely old med student. On the other hand, if you do hpsp and do 4 years of payback as a flight surgeon, you will start civilian residency and life at the same old age. So financially it wouldn't be much different. But if i told my parents that i wanted to enlist after doing well on the mcat, they would say "are you trying to give us a heart attack"? with hpsp they would be more understanding, because it pays for med school though they would still offer to pay for med school/take out loans instead.

In both cases: hpsp or enlistment, i'm interested in the military because i want to have fun, do something that i won't be able to do once i become a civilian doctor. Both flight surgeon and enlisted pj are fun jobs, but the latter is more appealing to me. But the risk with enlistment is that it's possible to get hurt and that might jeopardize my career.

So what do i do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IgD

IgD The Lorax
    10+ Year Member

Find some other place to troll?

4. R-Me-Doc

R-Me-Doc Now an X-R-Me-Doc
    10+ Year Member

IgD, this is the best thing you've ever posted! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

X-RMD

5. USAFdoc

USAFdoc exUSAFdoc
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

If you are intrested in the military, want to have fun, and don't want to get hurt, open up a bar outside a military base. Leave the bouncer job and the doctoring to others. :smuggrin: