Enough race specific threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it that people automatically tend to self segregate? I am a white male but I dont feel any more bonded to white men than blacks or arabs or indians. I mean, I can understand if you are from X country and looking for other people from that country to chat with but to identify with people simply because you have the same skin color seems base and ignorant. Call me crazy but it seems to me that we should discourage the segregation by race if we ever wish to move on towards a unified people, we are afterall people at our core..not our skin pigmentation.

Members don't see this ad.

Cerberus said:
Why is it that people automatically tend to self segregate? I am a white male but I dont feel any more bonded to white men than blacks or arabs or indians. I mean, I can understand if you are from X country and looking for other people from that country to chat with but to identify with people simply because you have the same skin color seems base and ignorant. Call me crazy but it seems to me that we should discourage the segregation by race if we ever wish to move on towards a unified people, we are afterall people at our core..not our skin pigmentation.

read my thread..... :D

You make a really good point, Cerberus, and one that resonates with a lot of people (including myself). But, like it or not, racial/gender/cultural discrimination exists--albeit not in a particularly overt way all the time-- all over the place, as do social ties based on skin color. (Incidentally, race is more than just skin color--it is a notion that pervades people's consciousness and opportunities, our government and public policy, health and bodies) Regardless of socioeconimic status or heritage, all African-Americans entering the medical profession have the unique challenge of being in an evironment where there are few people who can empathize with and speak to the particular prejudice they will and do face.

Definitely, all people should be in on the discussions that address racism and sexism, and their impact on everyday and professional life; however, not everybody can speak to everyone else's specific problems or concerns. For example, the last person I would ask about having a baby while in medicine is a man. Yes, that may seem sexist and probably is--but no man can speak with direct experience on what it is like to face that challenge.

Perhaps it would be fruitful to ask why such threads are threatening?

Members don't see this ad :)
The enforced separation of the races stamps the non-colored race with a badge of inferiority. I have expressed my feelings of inferiority on a separate thread.

These threads popped up after the black female thread, as a sort of Parody, but they have come to be fun and informative. They're not meant to racially divisive, but instead could be used as a form of cultural education from 1st hand sources.

Spitting Camel said:
These threads popped up after the black female thread, as a sort of Parody, but they have come to be fun and informative. They're not meant to racially divisive, but instead could be used as a form of cultural education from 1st hand sources.

How is knowing that there are #x (fill in race) SDNers reading though this forum contribute to "cultural education"?

idq1i said:
How is knowing that there are #x (fill in race) SDNers reading though this forum contribute to "cultural education"?

It's not about X number of (fill in race). If you read what is actually said, you might learn something about other cultures... our experiences growing up, our family lifestyles, our love for our two countries (sometimes 3). It's sad if you only think it's about numbers.

P.S. John Kerry Rocks and hopefully will get this pseudo-pres. out of office!!! :smuggrin:

Spitting Camel said:

yeah....i meant it as a parody, and mine was meant to reach out to those who are the outcasts of their own culture....but they have been informative...i read some of the other threads, and it's cool to learn from.....

Cerberus said:

I wish we did live in an open-minded society.. However racsim does exist. I don't believe these threads are started to segregate any specific race. These threads are started to share the experiences of people that have a common background. When people are involved in a struggle they tend to identify and unite with people most like themselves. It also allows an open forum to discuss your experiences, negative or positive.

You may not feel that bond, because your struggle in this isn't a racial or foreign one. There are many minority or foreign applicants that have different backgrounds. The common denominator is race or birthland. It is comforting to know that others are in the same position you are in. People are doing this to share experiences, not to be prejudice. If you read alot of the threads, most of them are discussions about the process, not racial battering.

Racial equality isn't going to start or end on this SDN forum. From a minority standpoint, there isn't much I can learn from a non-minorities experience. A non-minority isn't going to post diversity information on a med school because it simply is not your concern. However, every minority or foreigner must research the school to see if people like them are being accepted and graduated from a particular school. Not only are the student population important, but the amount of minority or foreign professors teaching at the school. These are good indicators on how institutions feel about these applicants. These issues are that important to you. However to us minorities and foreigners, it is very important piece of data. And who am I going to ask to post this info? Of course, not a non-minority, because then I'll be called racist. You ask people like yourself (minorities or foreigners).

Hope you didn't take this to be an offensive attack. Take time to read some of the posts. I agree, the syberian gay post was out of hand. This forum is used to discuss educational matters, not to find a booty call.

Ex-fix

I am an Indian born US resident (wish to be a dual citizen for personal purposes, I am businessman by heart :smuggrin: )
Anyways, most of my current friends are white and we get along very well. I suffered hardships in the beginning becuase the culture here is so different compared to mine back in India.
But the surprising thing is that I feel like an independent individual now, I have had interesting intellectual conversations with "WHites" about culture, history, politics of India.- this is diversity to me. Different views, ideas...
Yes, racism exists and it is more of a social issue than skin based.
My only suggestion is read FUQUA - a memoir by J. B. Fuqua and think and act smart. Be self made! that is what opportunities in the US scream at me.
On the other hand, chill. these problems hopefully will become a minor issue in the future. but distinct categories will remain.

Ex-fix said:
I wish we did live in an open-minded society.. However racsim does exist. I don't believe these threads are started to segregate any specific race. These threads are started to share the experiences of people that have a common background. When people are involved in a struggle they tend to identify and unite with people most like themselves. It also allows an open forum to discuss your experiences, negative or positive.

You may not feel that bond, because your struggle in this isn't a racial or foreign one. There are many minority or foreign applicants that have different backgrounds. The common denominator is race or birthland. It is comforting to know that others are in the same position you are in. People are doing this to share experiences, not to be prejudice. If you read alot of the threads, most of them are discussions about the process, not racial battering.

Racial equality isn't going to start or end on this SDN forum. From a minority standpoint, there isn't much I can learn from a non-minorities experience. A non-minority isn't going to post diversity information on a med school because it simply is not your concern. However, every minority or foreigner must research the school to see if people like them are being accepted and graduated from a particular school. Not only are the student population important, but the amount of minority or foreign professors teaching at the school. These are good indicators on how institutions feel about these applicants. These issues are that important to you. However to us minorities and foreigners, it is very important piece of data. And who am I going to ask to post this info? Of course, not a non-minority, because then I'll be called racist. You ask people like yourself (minorities or foreigners).

Hope you didn't take this to be an offensive attack. Take time to read some of the posts. I agree, the syberian gay post was out of hand. This forum is used to discuss educational matters, not to find a booty call.

Ex-fix
:thumbup: Well said.

I don't think anyone is really self-segregating but I think it is only natural that if you are a minority you will gravitate in some ways towards others. A responsability (or at least a nice thing to do) of the majority is to try and find out more an interact with people who are minorities in your culture (whether it be because of race, religion, gender, sexual orentation, etc.) The onus is yours because you are in a position of advantage since you are the majority and it benifits you because you learn more about others who are not like you.

I think the threads are fun and pretty informative. I just read the one about persian females and learned alot about it. I had a friend who was zoroastrian but I didn't understand what that was, so now I know more! Yay!

-Colin

I just signed up this morning and it really shocked me to see this. I feel it has been really informative. I have learned about the feelings that many different sides have in terms education, economics, race, color, etc. It opens your eyes a little.

Ex-fix said:

Ex-fix

Overall good post, however I really don't see diversity as being as race related as many of you do. Sure, having people from india, england, etc signifies diversity but I dont think the same is as true for American born applicants. The fact is that most people accepted to medical school regardless of race are from the higher income brackets. This in and of itself signifies to me that there is an extreme lack of "diversity" in medical schools. Sure, there are lots of differences between black culture and white culture, I dont think anyone would deny that. However, I feel the black/white divide is much much smaller than the wealthy/poor divide. Diversity based on skin color is shallow and fails to see the fact that real diversity comes from having different experiences and different ideas.