Enough schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDUB44

My Wiener (See Pic Below)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had planned to apply to 10-15 schools, but now i'm just like well I can only attend one. So far I have only applied to 4. I have a job, teaching high school chem, in which my time off will be limited for interviews. I am low on funds, etc. Do ya'll think I would just be ok applying to the schools I have already applied to. Or should I bite the bullet and shell out the cash. Not to mention I hate the fact that secondaries, from what I have seen, are long, expensive and terribly redundant. Look at my MDapp profile and tell me what you think, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

JDUB44 said:
I had planned to apply to 10-15 schools, but now i'm just like well I can only attend one. I have a job, teaching high school chem, in which my time off will be limited for interviews. I am low on funds, etc. Do ya'll think I would just be ok applying to the schools I have already applied to. Or should I bite the bullet and shell out the cash. Not to mention I hate the fact that secondaries, from what I have seen, are long, expensive and terribly redundant. Look at my MDapp profile and tell me what you think, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

Your best chances are in your state schools and in your region so you should probably be fine. But if you want a better piece of mind I would add a few. Add the University of Cincinatti, the secondary is easy and it only cost 25 dollars!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depakote said:
You have a strong application. But crazy things DO happen in this process. I think you're fine with 10-15 schools, but I wouldn't cut it down.

Sorry, I have only applied to 4. My question is should I add more or could I be ok with what i've got. sorry for the confusion.

ChymeChancellor said:
Your best chances are in your state schools and in your region so you should probably be fine. But if you want a better piece of mind I would add a few. Add the University of Cincinatti, the secondary is easy and it only cost 25 dollars!

You have a strong application, especially for those state schools, but my personal suggestion would be to add a few more than what you have listed in your mdapplicants.com profile. You probably don't need to apply to 10-15, but certainly more than what you have listed. Admissions can be a crapshoot, and the investment now is so incredibly small compared to the total expenses we're facing in the bigger picture.

ChymeChancellor said:

Is cincinatti pretty competitive? I have lots of family there. Hmmm, and only 25 bucks that would be kinda cool.

JDUB44 said:
Sorry, I have only applied to 4. My question is should I add more or could I be ok with what i've got. sorry for the confusion.
Definately apply to more than 4 schools.

Early is not the time to be cocky. Once you have the first acceptance, then you can turn down interviews if you're so inclined, but there is never a gurantee that a school will not put your application in the "continue to review" pile until May and then stop looking at it. (happened to me so many times)

As long as you are confident that you meet/exceed the qualifications for these schools and have a good chance of getting in, then stick with what you've got. Not everyone applies to reach schools, especially if they're perfectly satisfied going to their state school. If, however, you feel like any of these schools are a reach, I'd probably try to find a few more where you're competetive. (I'm not familiar with the stats for those particular schools, so I can't offer a judgment call.) Frankly, I think most people apply to too many schools (I've had a few friends apply to ~30), and my friends who are in med school have reaffirmed that belief.

Anyways, good luck!

Depakote said:
Definately apply to more than 4 schools.

Early is not the time to be cocky. Once you have the first acceptance, then you can turn down interviews if you're so inclined, but there is never a gurantee that a school will not put your application in the "continue to review" pile until May and then stop looking at it. (happened to me so many times)

I understand, well maybe I'll add maybe a few more, might as well, don't guess it will hurt, just my wallet.

You absolutely need to add more schools. 10 more apps will cost $1-2K... compare that to the cost of your overall medical education and its a drop in the bucket. Don't limit your options now. Adcoms will do enough of that on their own.

I know so many qualified people who applied to 10-15 schools and only got 1 or 2 interviews and in nowhere. I only got 3 interviews applying to 9 schools. The cost of application is nothing compared to the cost of medical school... just pay it now and consider it part of your tuition. Good luck

Definitely apply to at least 10-15 schools. Bascially, when I applied I felt that I really wanted to only have to go through the application process once, and so I wanted to give myself as many options as possible. Yes, it costs extra money now - but not nearly as much as having to submit AMCAS again next year along with secondaries all over again. Nothing can be taken for granted in this process, so just go with the whole shabang now. You'll be glad you did.

JDUB44 said:
Is cincinatti pretty competitive? I have lots of family there. Hmmm, and only 25 bucks that would be kinda cool.

Cinci would probably be a good one to add. It's a good school, and while it's tougher to get in to as an OOS-er, your numbers are pretty strong, and would probably give you a decent shot. Otherwise, I'd agree with everyone to at least add a couple more. When Looque called the process a crapshoot, he wasn't kidding. Definitely feels that way sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
drjewel said:
As long as you are confident that you meet/exceed the qualifications for these schools and have a good chance of getting in, then stick with what you've got. Not everyone applies to reach schools, especially if they're perfectly satisfied going to their state school. If, however, you feel like any of these schools are a reach, I'd probably try to find a few more where you're competetive. (I'm not familiar with the stats for those particular schools, so I can't offer a judgment call.) Frankly, I think most people apply to too many schools (I've had a few friends apply to ~30), and my friends who are in med school have reaffirmed that belief.

Anyways, good luck!

I agree. I'm only applying to 9... but picking schools was like pulling teeth because I've got 3 in-state schools, all of which I'd be completely happy going to and have the stats for... picking 6 more was my way of not jinxing myself, but honestly, what are the odds that I get into one of those out-of-state ones over all 3 of my in-states? I think it's a personal thing... if you want a lot of options and want to try for some reaches and have the money, then knock yourself out... but 4 schools where you have a solid chance is probably better than applying to 15 schools just so you can say you applied to 15 schools...

:luck: :luck:

CavalierMD said:
I agree. I'm only applying to 9... but picking schools was like pulling teeth because I've got 3 in-state schools, all of which I'd be completely happy going to and have the stats for... picking 6 more was my way of not jinxing myself, but honestly, what are the odds that I get into one of those out-of-state ones over all 3 of my in-states? I think it's a personal thing... if you want a lot of options and want to try for some reaches and have the money, then knock yourself out... but 4 schools where you have a solid chance is probably better than applying to 15 schools just so you can say you applied to 15 schools...

:luck: :luck:

i applied to 32 schools just to make sure that i dont have to apply next year (fingers crossed) and my stats are pretty decent 4.0 BCPM 3.94 AO and mcat 30....but it is like the lottery you may hit it big..or not get in anywhere...

DR. EUGENIC said:
i applied to 32 schools just to make sure that i dont have to apply next year (fingers crossed) and my stats are pretty decent 4.0 BCPM 3.94 AO and mcat 30....but it is like the lottery you may hit it big..or not get in anywhere...

On the "What are my chances thread?" You had a different MCAT score.
Which is it?

DR.EUGENIC said:
can i get accepted...
how do you think my chances are and what schools do you see me getting into.....im a california resident

BCPM 4.0
AO 3.94

although i have a lower MCAT

V(9) P(9) B(10) W(Q)

and i wont be able to send recomed letters till like october 1st?

SO which is it? A 28 or a 30?

:laugh:

But OP, as a fellow TN resident, I'm also keeping it under ten. You could apply to a few more and schedule the interviews a bit later in the season in the hopes you get an early acceptance. I'm having a hard time myself getting over the expense of this whole process right now despite the large loans looming just over the horizon.

Dr Durden said:

somebody reads too much on sdn and needs a life.....i went with a lower number since if that lower score woud get me in then ceratinly my higher schore would get me in... :sleep:

JDUB44 said:
I had planned to apply to 10-15 schools, but now i'm just like well I can only attend one. So far I have only applied to 4. I have a job, teaching high school chem, in which my time off will be limited for interviews. I am low on funds, etc. Do ya'll think I would just be ok applying to the schools I have already applied to. Or should I bite the bullet and shell out the cash. Not to mention I hate the fact that secondaries, from what I have seen, are long, expensive and terribly redundant. Look at my MDapp profile and tell me what you think, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

I'd bite the bullet now and shell out the $$ to increase the odds of getting in for this cycle. Your stats are decent enough to get you into your state schools, but so do other applicants who are in the same boat.

Complete the UK secondary really early as they have rolling admissions. I basically interviewed for the waitlist (around March).

Agree with Cincinnati, easy secondary and low fee (though I thought I shelled out $30 - or that could have been UK).

If considering Cinci, why not apply to the other Ohio schools as well? OSU and MUO take a good number of OOS applicants.

DR. EUGENIC said:
somebody reads too much on sdn and needs a life.....i went with a lower number since if that lower score woud get me in then ceratinly my higher schore would get me in... :sleep:

Riiiiiiight. Because lying about your MCAT score is awesome. I don't think you would be spending so much time discussing a retake on other threads if you had a 30. :confused:

jackieMD2007 said:
Which is it?

ooooo owned :laugh:

DR. EUGENIC said:

You've got issues, you can't really be that worried.

Alright, on this topic!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm completely happy going to my state schools. I've applied to others in the midwest, and Hopkins, bringing my total to 6. I want to expand that to 10..what 4 schools in the midwest should I add to my primary while I'm waiting for verification and can do so?

JDUB44 said:

I am also a high school teacher. I'm going into my second year of teaching and into my second application cycle. After getting rejected from the one school I applied to last year, I have reapplied to seven schools. The best advice I have for you is to be comfortable with the risk of rejection in return for the advantages of applying to fewer schools. Being married, confident in my application, and having an enjoyable, stable job make this risk acceptable for me so I am again gambling another application cycle against saved time, money and energy otherwise wasted in applying to medical schools I am not serious about.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=6136

Oh, I'll also point out that my pre-med advisor, who I respect very much, supports my choice. If I were nuts he wouldn't hesitate to say so.

Zoom-Zoom said:
You've got issues, you can't really be that worried.

WAIT are you saying that 32 is too many?...in all seriousness because i have spent around $1200 cash money.....so your saying i shouldnt send in all the secondaries then? :confused:

DR. EUGENIC said:
WAIT are you saying that 32 is too many?...in all seriousness because i have spent around $1200 cash money.....so your saying i shouldnt send in all the secondaries then? :confused:

Why don't you just apply to your top tier schools because you are half-hispanic. You are a sure thing anywhere.

ChymeChancellor said:
Why don't you just apply to your top tier schools because you are half-hispanic. You are a sure thing anywhere.

wait are you telling the truth...or being a smart a@@.....its so hard to tell now with my paranoia setting in........im freaking out here....i considered not sending in my second to top tiers since most of them have mcat # in 11-12.... :scared:

DR. EUGENIC said:
wait are you telling the truth...or being a smart a@@.....its so hard to tell now with my paranoia setting in........im freaking out here....i considered not sending in my second to top tiers since most of them have mcat # in 11-12.... :scared:

:D

If you want to go private and try a few reaches Johannen--and you certainly have the stats to do so--there's three in Chicago (Northwestern, Univ of Chicago, Loyola) and two in St. Louis (SLU and WashU) that come to mind.

Dr Durden said:
If you want to go private and try a few reaches Johannen--and you certainly have the stats to do so--there's three in Chicago (Northwestern, Univ of Chicago, Loyola) and two in St. Louis (SLU and WashU) that come to mind.

Duly noted..after an hour of additional research, I feel I'm going to add Loyola and University of Chicago, as well as University of Cincinnati and Case Western. Any additional thoughts?

Good call on Case. There's also Creighton in Nebraska if your definition of "Midwest" extends that far. You could always try for Mayo too since you're applying in Minnesota. I'm from the Midwest, but I'm not that certain about the local public medical school's policies on out-of-staters. But good luck finishing up your list and snagging some interviews.

Dr Durden said:
Good call on Case. There's also Creighton in Nebraska if your definition of "Midwest" extends that far. You could always try for Mayo too since you're applying in Minnesota. I'm from the Midwest, but I'm not that certain about the local public medical school's policies on out-of-staters. But good luck finishing up your list and snagging some interviews.

Thanks, and to you also!

Pumpkin Carving 7 yrs???????? Sounds like an intersting and unique EC, kinda wierd to put down though.

jackieMD2007 said:
Which is it?

now that, ladies and gentlemen, is complete PWNAGE. :laugh:

fullefect1 said:
Pumpkin Carving 7 yrs???????? Sounds like an intersting and unique EC, kinda wierd to put down though.

well its a pretty big deal to me. And I figured if I get interviewed in october I could do a pumpkin with the school's logo on it. I'm pretty passionate about my pumpkins, they're works of art.