Enough talk, we have to act to protect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TecmoBowl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just submitted my contributions to the ASA Political Action Committee. I try to learn the status of our profession from a colleague who has long been an active and dedicated member of the ASA/ABA/NBME. I cannot emphasize enough to everyone on this forum, going into anesthesiology- be it medical students, residents or attendings, that we have to make our voices be heard. Short of being politically active ourselves, the least we can do to help is support the people that are trying to protect us all. Money talks- I'm sure most of us understand that- and we all know the AANA (please don't move this thread I'm not trying to start something) is heavily active- and they get good funding from their pool. So whether our contributions will make a difference in the long run or not, why not give it a shot, if it's the only shot you'll take, it won't cost you much. I made mine online. With all the talk about other doctors selling us out etc., let's not sell ourselves out. Maybe we are the generation that needs to make these things happen. Once I get my career under control, I plan to be more involved with the ASA in the ongoing fight for our survival. Does that sound dramatic? Maybe it's accurate.

Members don't see this ad.

The ASA in 2003-2004 contributed 1.1 million dollors compared to 550,000 for the AANA. Clearly it is not just money for if money talks then the ASA is much louder. Numbers can be found at http://pacstudy.leadershipinstitute.org/20032004/index.cfm?CurrentPage=8

That is just one year review of which political campaigns/candidates each PAC contributed to. We are still being far outspent in aggregate and not collecting nearly enough from our constituents, and we are spearheading lobbying on medicare reimbursement changes and state medicaid reimbursement changes for anesthesia in general without support from other organizations.

Donate, DONATE, D O N A T E to your PAC's and societies and/or get involved politically. Good people are fighting for your profession, your identity, your patient's right to choose their provider, and your ability to make a living on your terms, not the government's, hospitals', the AANA's, the insurance companies', or a legislative agenda.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still can't believe that Student RNAs are "forced" to donate to the AANA. It comes right out of their tuition at two of the programs in my state, and I think this is NOT the exception.

This implicates those anesthesiology programs in which there are also CRNA programs (many, I think). It's not like they couldn't make this an issue, and exercise leverage to put an end to that practice.

It speaks volumes, though, in terms of the importance the AANA places on their PACs and funding of such, that they take money right out of their tuition.

Donated some Intern money. Pay now...have a job later.

I've donated for two years now...as a medical student. ASA even sent me a nice pin this year.

Pay now, pay it back at a higher cost later, have job in a decade (or so I hope). And, no, I'm not living off mommy and daddy - stopped doing that 10 yrs ago. This is all Sallie Mae's money.

Logic is the major stumbling block in donation. When I look at how much I spent on coffee PER WEEK, or hell - how much I spent on beer IN ONE NIGHT, it was really illogical for me not to cough up a few bones as an investment in my future.

Join in, guys!

dc

I still can't believe that Student RNAs are "forced" to donate to the AANA. It comes right out of their tuition at two of the programs in my state, and I think this is NOT the exception.

This implicates those anesthesiology programs in which there are also CRNA programs (many, I think). It's not like they couldn't make this an issue, and exercise leverage to put an end to that practice.

It speaks volumes, though, in terms of the importance the AANA places on their PACs and funding of such, that they take money right out of their tuition.

Student membership in AANA is mandatory. That's a requirement by AANA.

However, donations to the PAC or Foundation are entirely voluntary. It's illegal to force someone to "donate" to a PAC.

What Anesthesiology must do is insure high quality residents are attracted and go into anesthesia as a career. That means high quality attendings training superior residents. That is the answer to everyones concern. I already see a standard of mediocrity killing the profession. Average residents working with average attendings turning out an average product. The vast majority of chairs of anesthesia departments in the good ole' USA are pretty darn average themselves. Simple power ****** kissing the Deans bum or the chair of surgery's bum to keep their position. Most living off publications and an academic reputation that is now 10-15 years old. Or better yet, the newer wave of chairs having no academic credentials at all!

Made my first contribution, 50 bucks to the ASA a few days ago

C'mon, I'm a poor starving med student, I know many of you guys can at least do that or better.

I am a newbie to this forum. how do i do a private message?:cool:
Thanks

I am a newbie to this forum. how do i do a private message?:cool:
Thanks

Click on the name of a poster.

A drop down menu should come which offers options to send message, view profile, or find history of posts. Clicking on the profile will also allow these options, but in a easier to view manner.

Welcome!

P.S. I notice you've chosen to not receive any private messages. Perhaps by choosing that option you disallowed yourself to send any? I don't know SDN's rules, but if you ever want PM responses, you have to disable this feature.

The Ohio Society of Anesthesiology Resident Component si starting a prize for the residency program with the highest percentage of residents contributing to the state PAC to help spur some interest in the OSA and ASA PAC. We've got to start being aggressively active in political circles or the CRNA lobby will have the last word!!!

ASA is not the only people that need money.

State PACs in all specialties as well.