1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Enough time?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Evergrey, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Evergrey

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For those with experience studying for the MCAT, I wanted your input on if I'll have enough time to sufficiently prepare for the MCAT.

I anticipate applying to MD schools this upcoming cycle. I will be finishing Orgo 2 next semester, and I'm going to have a LOT of work to do because I am writing an undergraduate honors thesis for my humanities major, as well as doing some science research, ECs, finishing credit requirements. Unfortunately, I anticipate that I will be extremely busy and I can't imagine that I will be able to study for more than 5 hours weekly for the MCAT (which is probably a liberal estimate).

I don't want to wait to apply to matriculate in 2011. I have everything else completed but my MCAT scores, so I need to figure out when to take the MCAT this year in order to balance 1) a good MCAT score with 2) promptness of application.

Currently, I'm thinking of taking the June 18th MCAT date. This will give me ~4 months *during school* to study for the MCAT, and my final 3-4 weeks will be on summer break, where I will have much more time to study (I could probably manage 20-30 productive hours a week). All in all, this would give me about 150+ hours of studying time. I'm shooting for at least a 35 on the MCAT. I don't know if I can do it but that's not going to stop me from trying. Will this schedule give me enough time to prepare well enough for a good score?

In terms of study habits, I anticipate using the EK Bio/EK 1001 Bio questions, EK Verbal/101 Verbal Passages, Nova book for Physics, and BR books for Chem. I've only taken the barebones prereqs for science since I started premed late, and I expect to run into problems in Anatomy and Physiology questions. Will I be able to get through all of the material in this time frame?

Finally, when is the earliest I can apply using AMCAS without my scores? Can I apply at the earliest possible time, get my grades and application verified, then have them wait until the MCAT scores are posted in late July, then submit the application then? How does that whole process work?

Thanks in advance. Sorry about the long post!

#1 Evergrey, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. scaredoflife

scaredoflife Eaaagglleee
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey I am also doing almost the same thing without the honor thesis (GOOD LUCK). I am taking the test June 18th usually the application cycle for 2010 begins around June. So what I was going to do was take the MCAT, and then apply right afterwards and by the time my scores came in my application would be mostly processed. Secondly I am also using the EK study content material and also using The AAMC practice test.
    You can apply early as june, but you application will be idle until your scores are received. Since the verification/processing of applications take about 6-8 weeks its a good idea to maybe apply right after your MCAT date and then wait a month for scores.
    About the studying time I am studying right now about 20 hrs a week and plan to increase after school finishes late april to 30-40 hrs.

GOOD LUCK sorry if I was to brief.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I can tell you most people need more time.

It really depends on the person.

Whatever you do, give yourself enough time to get a good score.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...