Enough Timing for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IH8ColdWeath3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I tried to search for the MCAT study threads, but this is really a much diff. question than other threads which approach strategy. I'd really appreciate the help and advice! thanks!

Im currently scheduled to take the sept 11 MCAT (the last date) and will be applying next year. Im taking 18 hrs right now, and im doing fine in school but i'm trying to periodically review for the mcat w the EK books, and BR gchem + physics. Is it smart to do this or should I focus on school and leave the studying for the beginning of may. The more I read these books, the more I realize how desperately I need review!:eek:

I should mention: I will be taking a 10 week cell bio course 2Xweek for 2 hrs/day) plus Physics II in 5 weeks(X4 week for 1.5 hrs) during the TPR prep course. Summer classes don't star til june, so all of may will be just mcat studying. Also, I think if by taking physics II during summer, it will be fresh with me, plus the cell bio is great bio review. (im a bio major) Im good with time management + took 17 hrs last sem. and made a 4.0, but honestly is this doable?

My question is, do you think this is an adequate amount of time time to prep? should I not start reviewing until may when school is over? Should i postpone my MCAT until next jan (i'm afraid i wont be able to study efficiently during the fall b/c i have BIOCHEM!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

you should take it as: medical students don't remember or care about the mcat because we have enough stupid exams to study for, so you should ask pre-allo.

your question is super detailed and confusing; I read your post and I don't even know how much time you're spending to study or what method you're using.. ask pre-allo and be more concise. just study, you're either gonna make it or you're not, take the exam and things will work out even if you don't go to med school (which sucks btw, you would probably be happier waiting tables in Hawaii surfing every day fwiw).

Members don't see this ad :)
You really need to ask this question in the pre-allo forum. There are enough med students that still check that forum out that you'll get a good answer your question there.

Hi Everyone,
I tried to search for the MCAT study threads, but this is really a much diff. question than other threads which approach strategy. I'd really appreciate the help and advice! thanks!

Im currently scheduled to take the sept 11 MCAT (the last date) and will be applying next year. Im taking 18 hrs right now, and im doing fine in school but i'm trying to periodically review for the mcat w the EK books, and BR gchem + physics. Is it smart to do this or should I focus on school and leave the studying for the beginning of may. The more I read these books, the more I realize how desperately I need review!:eek:

I should mention: I will be taking a 10 week cell bio course 2Xweek for 2 hrs/day) plus Physics II in 5 weeks(X4 week for 1.5 hrs) during the TPR prep course. Summer classes don't star til june, so all of may will be just mcat studying. Also, I think if by taking physics II during summer, it will be fresh with me, plus the cell bio is great bio review. (im a bio major) Im good with time management + took 17 hrs last sem. and made a 4.0, but honestly is this doable?

My question is, do you think this is an adequate amount of time time to prep? should I not start reviewing until may when school is over? Should i postpone my MCAT until next jan (i'm afraid i wont be able to study efficiently during the fall b/c i have BIOCHEM!! :(

I started studying for mine around early Aug(when summer semester ended) and I took mine on Sept. 11th as well(in 07 tho), so timing-wise, yes you do have enough time. Keep in mind though that I didn't really have to review Physics since I knew it really well already, I also didn't spend ANY time on verbal, not even a second, because I believe that studying specifically for verbal is useless.

I had absolutely no recollection of orgo when I started reviewing, but after a day or so spent reading review materials in the Kaplan book(they're pretty short and concise about it) and the rest of the week doing EK1001 questions, I was set there. Repeat the process for Bio and Chem and you should be fine. The time you'll be spent on each subject depends heavily on how well you understood the materials the first go around in your undergrad classes. Things will go much smoother if you just need to read about a concept once and you'll understand it because you understood it before, rather than having to study a concept all anew because you never understood it in the first place.

Also, you as others have suggested, you need to be clear with just how much time you have. When does summer end? When does fall start? I skipped the first 3 weeks of fall semester to study for the MCAT :laugh:

Fall starts Aug 24,
and yes I will most def be skipping to do practice exams as well. I have friends who will help me with notes/etc, plus im taking a light load compared to the normal 18 hrs semesters i'v been taking so I should be okay.