ENT Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wacks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm a 3rd year and after multiple mid-medschool-crises, i've began to think about ENT after considering ortho HARD and also now considering anesthesia.

I think i like the aspect of procedures in ENT more than anesthesia (pain) and i enjoyed my surgery rotation within it (didn't do any gen surg in my rotation).

My stats are:

Step 1: 258
clerkship grades: 3 HP and 1 P (family med lol)
Research: one poster presentation and project i'm kinda still working on, not a great one (both in ortho)

What do yall think I should do to be competitive in ENT or help my case? any info would help!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i'm a 3rd year and after multiple mid-medschool-crises, i've began to think about ENT after considering ortho HARD and also now considering anesthesia.

Care to elaborate?

Reactions: 1 user
Get to know people in ENT. If you have a home ENT program, start talking to them, get some projects going with them, shadow in the OR, whatever you can do so that they'll know something about you when it comes time (soon!) for you to ask them for letters and phone calls on your behalf.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a couple red flags already -- not honoring surgery and no ENT research. One of those two you can still do something about. Do that. Otherwise you're going to be a decent Step 1 score with sub-par grades, mediocre ENT letters, and no ENT research. I've known people with Step 1 scores 20 points higher than yours not match because of the other issues. Don't be that person.

Basically you need to start making inroads in the department ASAP and get some research and some connections going. Make sure you start honoring things from now on. Definitely honor your Sub-I. Consider a research year as well given that it's March and you may not be able to get much done before September when ERAS is due.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want ent, it's certainly not unreasonable you'd match without one, but I'd wager youd increase your chances quite a bit with a research year. Gives time to build research portfolio, demonstrate your interest, and make connections in the field. I personally wouldn't take the gamble of forgoing it

Honestly looking forward to @failedatlife showing-up in this thread.

@failedatlife when he sees OP's step score

1310497388821.png

Reactions: 14 users
You have a couple red flags already -- not honoring surgery and no ENT research. One of those two you can still do something about. Do that. Otherwise you're going to be a decent Step 1 score with sub-par grades, mediocre ENT letters, and no ENT research. I've known people with Step 1 scores 20 points higher than yours not match because of the other issues. Don't be that person.

Basically you need to start making inroads in the department ASAP and get some research and some connections going. Make sure you start honoring things from now on. Definitely honor your Sub-I. Consider a research year as well given that it's March and you may not be able to get much done before September when ERAS is due.

So you knew someone with a STEP 1 score of 278? Wow! Must have been a really smart guy....

Reactions: 1 user

278? That's incredible. I think his Step 1 is more than "decent" but then again, compared to a "278" it's probably not.

So after seeing you call my score a red flag... i decided to dig a little deeper and request my score breakdown. It turned out that my attending had entered a different evaluation and there was some kind of error and they just caught it when i asked why i didn't get the full credit... so my grade is going to be changed to Honors.

Reactions: 7 users
So after seeing you call my score a red flag... i decided to dig a little deeper and request my score breakdown. It turned out that my attending had entered a different evaluation and there was some kind of error and they just caught it when i asked why i didn't get the full credit... so my grade is going to be changed to Honors.
wow. good for you!

wow. good for you!

Thank you! i'm just little annoyed.. had i not asked, i would have never gotten the grade i earned and would have been left trying to explain not honoring. Note to all future 3rd years, make sure to ASK about your grade if you have doubts!!