• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

ENT and Neuro

bluegold

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
    Anybody else absolutely torn between these two fields? I love neuroscience, but also the surgical scope and practice of Oto.

How much overlap is there in training between these two fields, are there opportunities for neuro research as an ENT?

Any thoughts at all would be really helpful...

neurologist

En garde
    Moderator Emeritus
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 26, 2003
    1. Attending Physician
      bluegold said:
      Anybody else absolutely torn between these two fields? I love neuroscience, but also the surgical scope and practice of Oto.

How much overlap is there in training between these two fields, are there opportunities for neuro research as an ENT?

These are WAY different fields. Kinda like being "torn between" pathology and psychiatry. ENT docs are first and foremost SURGEONS. They operate on people. When an ENT doc sees a patient, they are thinking "is there a surgical fix here?' It is a whole different mindset.
      Neurologists are NOT surgeons. They don't operate on anyone.
      There is some limited overlap and room for complementary evaluation and/or treatment in such issues as meniere's disease, vertigo, and headache, but generally, IMHO, an ENT doc should only be involved in these if there is trauma or some other surgical indication, or in cases of chronic sinus/ear infection. I see many more referrals flowing from ENT to neurology (i.e., "your 'sinus headaches' are really migraines -- go see a neurologist" or "your vertigo is central, not peripheral -- go see a neurologist) than from neuro to ENT.

neurologist

En garde
      Moderator Emeritus
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 26, 2003
      1. Attending Physician
        bluegold said:

Sorry, I forgot to add this: there IS a small subfield of neurology called "neuro-otology" (the "guru" of this is a neurologist named Robert Baloh). It's a very small, supersubspecialized field, but if you're really interested you should explore this more. My personal opinion of this field is that, similar to neuro-ophthalmology, they don't accomplish a whole lot in terms of clinical outcome, but that's just my biased view.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.