ENT Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEENT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have read on other threads, it looks like Facial Plastics and Otology are the more competitive fellowships to get with only about 3/4 getting them for FP. Consensus seems to be that connections and who you know are what it boils down to for these two fellowships (especially FP).

Can anyone who has some experience comment more on this? Are connections something that will differ more based on institution (ie that institution gives better access to the proper connections to its residents) or is it more based on individual initiative from applicants regardless of institution?

Also 3/4 for FP seems not too bad overall, but are these fellowship applicants all the cream-of-the-crop so a "regular" resident of normal intelligence won't really stand a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read on other threads, it looks like Facial Plastics and Otology are the more competitive fellowships to get with only about 3/4 getting them for FP. Consensus seems to be that connections and who you know are what it boils down to for these two fellowships (especially FP).

Can anyone who has some experience comment more on this? Are connections something that will differ more based on institution (ie that institution gives better access to the proper connections to its residents) or is it more based on individual initiative from applicants regardless of institution?

Also 3/4 for FP seems not too bad overall, but are these fellowship applicants all the cream-of-the-crop so a "regular" resident of normal intelligence won't really stand a chance?

it seems like it is program-dependent... if the program has very highly respected faculty with a lot of facial plastics guys, those will serve as your connections to get a facial plastics fellowship. same would go for otology although i think otology is much much less competitive with most everybody (minus a few) getting the fellowship. most schools have a pretty decent balance of faculty so it shouldn't be an issue but there are some programs with very minimal faculty is particular fellowship areas so maybe keep an eye out for those.

regardless of the connections that the program affords you, you still have to be a good applicant that fellowships will want to train.

can somebody give some more insight into this?

it seems like it is program-dependent... if the program has very highly respected faculty with a lot of facial plastics guys, those will serve as your connections to get a facial plastics fellowship. same would go for otology although i think otology is much much less competitive with most everybody (minus a few) getting the fellowship. most schools have a pretty decent balance of faculty so it shouldn't be an issue but there are some programs with very minimal faculty is particular fellowship areas so maybe keep an eye out for those.

regardless of the connections that the program affords you, you still have to be a good applicant that fellowships will want to train.

can somebody give some more insight into this?

Definitely not true regarding otology, which is quite competitive and arguably tougher than FPRS to land a spot. Generally at the level of fellowship applications (for all the fellowships), there's a lot more of a networking aspect to it and faculty from your program making calls to land you a spot.
There's also a lot of variability year to year depending on how many applicants vs. number of available spots (not every fellowship has a spot every year).

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not true regarding otology, which is quite competitive and arguably tougher than FPRS to land a spot. Generally at the level of fellowship applications (for all the fellowships), there's a lot more of a networking aspect to it and faculty from your program making calls to land you a spot.
There's also a lot of variability year to year depending on how many applicants vs. number of available spots (not every fellowship has a spot every year).

I see. I read on a separate forum that for otology (not sure what year), about 300 out of 320 got the fellowship... Maybe other years, there are more applicants or less spots, but that seems pretty good overall.

you need to find a new resource. There are only ~ 220 ENT residents across the country at each PGY year. So not sure where your numbers may have come from. Maybe if you remove a 0?? This may seem like good odds compared to match data or whatever, but the less competitive things like pedi have more spots than folks applying last I looked.

you need to find a new resource. There are only ~ 220 ENT residents across the country at each PGY year. So not sure where your numbers may have come from. Maybe if you remove a 0?? This may seem like good odds compared to match data or whatever, but the less competitive things like pedi have more spots than folks applying last I looked.

That's true. It didn't register until now that there is no way it could have been for a single year... maybe it was pooled over several years? I'll look for the thread and post if I find it again.

Is there a better resource to look at to get this information or is it just word of mouth?

data can be from the san francisco match site. Others I have heard about were word of mouth or friends that applied and got match statistics after.