1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

ENT help, I don't understand

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by fongool, Aug 20, 2002.

1. fongool

fongool New Member
    7+ Year Member

To anyone who has matched in ENT or is in the process this year:

Any idea which programs do not guarantee a pgy-1 spot in general surgery?

In general, once I'm done with the CAS application, do I need to send out ERAS applications for general surgery to the same programs I've already applied for ENT?

Much thanks for any help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DuneHog

DuneHog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you applying to ENT this year? When you register for the match, SFMatch will give you a password so that you can get into the password required program directory in the otolaryngology section at sfmatch.org website. This listing of programs tells you which ones require that you find your own gen surg internship.

The vast majority of programs guarantee general surgery internships. Only a few of the smaller programs do not. I am applying to 40 programs and only about 5 or so do not provide PGY-1.

My understanding is that the way it works at most programs is you just apply through the CAS for your PGY-2, and if you match at their program then the automatically rank you #1 for a general surg internship at their institution. So, you don't have to do ERAS or interview separately for the internship, you just have to register with NRMP and then only rank the one PGY-1 surgery slot at the institution you match at.

4. alexfeerst

alexfeerst Junior Member

why would anyone want to do ENT? did you go to med school to operate in someone's mouth? isn't that a dentist's job? are you insane?

5. DuneHog

DuneHog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If ENT doesn't appeal to you then don't do it. Why do you care what I want to do?

6. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My vote for Moron of the Year.

7. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    alexfeerst, you really have no clue do you? ENT is one of the hardest matches around, world over. Interesting surgeries using a lot of new toys, varied patient ages, several career paths including head and neck surgery, facial plastics. etc.
    By the way, oral maxillofacial surgery is also a very tough match for dentists, and a lot of them do a concurrent MD. Here in Australia, oral surgeons must have a dental and medical degree taken separately (unlilke the States where it is given for 2 years of work), and several years of residency. They're both highly sought after careers, so ya, I concur - "Moron of the Year"

8. dkwyler94

dkwyler94 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do any of you out there know if the AOA (osteopathic) ENT residencies are more, equal, or less competitive on average than the MD residencies.
    Also, do you know how accepting ENT residencies are of DO residents. I understand most areas don't care if you are MD or DO, but I heard the surgery world is a little more outdated in this area.
    THanks

9. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know of any DO residents in allopathic ENT residencies.

As for how AOA ENT residencies compare to allopathic residencies, I don't know. I can speak of one program, PCOM, and it isn't very good. They probably churn out decent general otolaryngologists, but that's about all.

10. quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by alexfeerst
    why would anyone want to do ENT? did you go to med school to operate in someone's mouth? isn't that a dentist's job? are you insane?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My vote for Moron of the Year.