ENT review book for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsagat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm a third year student and I'm very interested in E/N/T. I'm going to be starting my surgery rotation in a few weeks and was hoping to pick your brain on a good, concise review text, one that I can read through prior to my two weeks of oto. I've heard that ENT secrets is a good one, but the last version was published in 2006. Is that a big deal?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if this belongs in a different forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks. I'm a third year student and I'm very interested in E/N/T. I'm going to be starting my surgery rotation in a few weeks and was hoping to pick your brain on a good, concise review text, one that I can read through prior to my two weeks of oto. I've heard that ENT secrets is a good one, but the last version was published in 2006. Is that a big deal?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if this belongs in a different forum.

ENT secrets is probably the best book for your first rotation. Maybe after you've decided on ENT get a cheap copy of old pacha for SUB-I's and auditions. If you really wanna read a ton get the lange book or KJ lee. I didn't do that and it didn't really matter. If there was something I really wanted to read up I would just photocopy the relevant chapter out of bailey's. If you know secrets cold you'll impress most attendings.

Agreed to stick with Secrets or Pasha. No need to read KJ Lee or Lange at your level.

Doing well on an ENT rotation is not only knowledge in the field (which your are assumed to have little), but more on being a team player with the residents/other students, being affable in the OR and on the floors/unit, available when needed, and limiting any complaining (verbal or non-verbal).

Know your own patients cold (just like any other rotation), don't try to "out-do" your peers by speaking up about their patients (i.e., play well with others), read about the operations you will do the next day and know key major anatomy (you will not be asked any steps, obviously, but should know branches of the external carotid if doing a neck, etc. Have an idea of what the information on an audiogram means (AC vs BC), types of thyroid CA, etc. All of this is in Secrets or Pasha.

Good luck.