entering AP credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarterchild

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you guys enter AP credits into the secondary applications? For example, under "semester/year taken", do you just put the year you took the AP exam? and what do you put for course number and grade? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From the AMCAS help manual:

"Assign Freshman (FR) status to Advanced Placement, Exempt, or CLEP credit awarded when you first entered college. "

Is this credit on your transcript? If yes:

"To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. Include AP credit courses only once (indicating AP under the Course Type heading), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. AP courses can be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit, but cannot be listed under all the institutions that may have awarded credit.

If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name."

If not on your transcript, too bad for you:
"Do not send high school transcripts or AP test score reports to AMCAS."

And after they get done verifying you will see a G because:
"The following AMCAS grades do not have a weight or value in computing the AMCAS GPA:G - Used to indicate AP credit not assigned a letter grade."

Members don't see this ad :)
You write whatever class you got credit for - it should be on your transcript. It was on mine at least.

Bill Mcneal said:
You write whatever class you got credit for - it should be on your transcript. It was on mine at least.
Yeah. I think most AP classes either count as generic/departmental credit, in which case you get something like this:

English 101X (and you'd use the 101X as the number)

or they map directly onto a specific class and you get something like this:

English 130 (and you'd use the 130 as the number).

Either way, they're going to want what matches up to your transcript. If you've got something different from the two above examples (like, no number) then you probably ought to talk to your advisor about how students from your school usually post their AP credit.