Entering courses on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coyotelime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do we enter course names exactly as they appear on the transcript? For instance, one of my classes is abbreviated "structre of cerebral cortex" due to lack of room.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Course Number and Course Name
Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number in the designated fields. If
the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation.
This information is critical for
AMCAS to verify each course on the official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate
your application. Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the
course, i.e., BIO 101. If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight
digits rather than the first ones. Decimal points, if part of the course number on your official
transcript, should be included when entering the course number.
Enter designations for all of your lab course work exactly as they appear on the official transcript.
If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the
exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II"
appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter
"General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course
include a lab section?" AMCAS is not responsible for any processing delays or missed deadlines
resulting from incorrect listings of course names and numbers.

Page 38-39.

I was just dealing with the same thing.
Enter each course EXACTLY as it appears on your transcript.
My transcript had a lot of abbreviated class names (for example: Materials Science for Engineers = MATERIALS SCI FOR ENGRS)

Members don't see this ad :)
I called AMCAS last year about this and they told me that I could enter the full course names if I wanted, even if the transcripts abbreviated them. I went onto my school's website and looked up the actual course names of past courses I have taken, and put those onto it. I wanted the ad-coms to know what the actual courses were, because to be quite frank, some of the names on the transcript wouldn't give the ad-comm any idea what the course was. I actually never submitted the app so I can't tell you if they changed it or whatever, but they told me that putting the full names along with the course number was fine.

Relevant thread for you OP:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=522869

From one of the posters:

"First time I applied, I "un-abbreviated" everything and didn't have a single problem or correction. Give the AMCAS verifiers some credit, they're not stupid. They will know "Intro Phys Chem" means Introduction to Physical Chemistry or whatever, and you can write out the latter in the course name. Just be reasonable..."

One of my courses is "CORE:STAT APP-PHAR/ALLIED HLTH". I'm gonna call and see if I can make sure it says "statistics". Same thing with my CORE: CALC APP-PHAR/ALLIED HLTH course...and CLIN APPL PHA KIN&DYN, what the hell, that is going to say "Clinical Application of Pharmaceutical Kinetics and Dynamics". Same with "D&D", no one knows it's drugs and diseases.

I just changed about 20 courses, hopefully it won't get kicked back at me......

Last edited: