Entering intention of retaking DAT on AADSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phannay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would I input into AADSAS that I plan on retaking the DAT? Currently, my app shows the date I took my first DAT and the date the scores were received.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't. There is no longer an option for this on the application. You must contact the dental schools individually to let them know of your retake.

Try using the search link it usually has all the answers you are looking for.

This has been my major issue since the beginning of the application process...I took the DAT back at Christmas break and am retaking at the end of this month:

That being said there were a couple of options that people came up with:

1) Wait till after you have retaken it to e-submit. This ensures that the first time schools see your application will be with your 2nd score included. Keep in mind it can take 4-6 weeks for AADSAS to process your application, as well as verifying transcripts and LoR matching could push that date forward as well.

2) An interesting idea put up on the forums, was E-submit now and only appoint a school that you know you will not be attending. after you have retaken the DAT, appoint the remaining schools on your list, and by the time it gets sent out your new DAT scores should be available. This is kinda theoretical because when I asked the AADSAS they seemed to not know if this would work or not. Aka try at your own risk.

3) Esubmit now, and contact all the schools you appointed letting them know to hold your application until your DAT scores are available. Some schools will allow you to Fax your DAT scores when you get your unofficial score sheet the day you take the test--some will not. From what I understand some schools will not even hold your application (don't quote me on this).

The bottom line is that if you are retaking the DAT this summer, the entire application and time line is a mess. Nothing is for sure about when the best, earliest time to apply is. All I can say is the earlier the better.

Some facts that may help in deciding:
--4-6 weeks for AADSAS to process applications, GPA check, and get them sent out as long as they recieve your LOR's and Transcripts and everything works out there.

--It is important to send LoR's and Transcripts ASAP as they can be processed at any time during the process.

--2-3 weeks for ADA to send the official scores to the AADSAS once you retake the DAT. They have an official auditing process for each score to make sure that everything is cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks matt. so which route do you think you'll take?

thanks matt. so which route do you think you'll take?

I'm retaking the DAT August 14th.

I'm taking the following route:

3) Esubmit now, and contact all the schools you appointed letting them know to hold your application until your DAT scores are available. Some schools will allow you to Fax your DAT scores when you get your unofficial score sheet the day you take the test--some will not. From what I understand some schools will not even hold your application (don't quote me on this).

Why? Because at least my application is 99.9% processed along with everything submitted before August 14th.

That way, when I take the DAT on the 14th, I immediately call them all up and ask them if a fax of the unofficial score report is accepted; if it is, then I fax it. If not, then my DENTPIN already takes care of everything for me within a few days.

If not, then my DENTPIN already takes care of everything for me within a few days.
If I understand correctly the Dentpin isn't updated with your new score for 2-3 weeks.

And the hardest thing about Esubmitting now is that you do not know what your DAT score is so its a game of appointing schools that you may or may not have the stats for.

This is my dilemma and why I am most likely going with option #2. That way I don't screw the pooch as well as waste money on schools I don't have the stats for.