Entering REPAYE for residency? COVID into consideration?

tombradyschin

5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2015
    About to start a 2 year salary based residency, with considerable debt (350k), and have realized that REPAYE is probably the way to go for this. When should I enter REPAYE considering that we have 0% interest accumulating through September due to COVID? What steps do I need to make prior and what do I need to tell my loan servicers? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 users
    About the Ads

free99

Moderator Emeritus
    7+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Oct 24, 2012
    1. Dentist
      The 6-month grace period is mandatory and cannot be waived, meaning you are ineligible to begin REPAYE until this grace period ends. You can apply for REPAYE now, and you should, so that when that 6-month grace period is over, the loans automatically are placed into that program. This shouldn't affect your ability to take advantage of the 0% deferment until September. When in doubt call your servicer and ask them these questions -- Great Lakes has been pretty good to me and easy to get ahold of.

Reactions: 1 user

batman12345

5+ Year Member
      Nov 18, 2015
      1. Pre-Dental
        The 6-month grace period is mandatory and cannot be waived, meaning you are ineligible to begin REPAYE until this grace period ends. You can apply for REPAYE now, and you should, so that when that 6-month grace period is over, the loans automatically are placed into that program. This shouldn't affect your ability to take advantage of the 0% deferment until September. When in doubt call your servicer and ask them these questions -- Great Lakes has been pretty good to me and easy to get ahold of.

not mandatory:

free99

Moderator Emeritus
        7+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Oct 24, 2012
        1. Dentist
          not mandatory:
          Good call I forgot you can waive it by loan consolidation, but that eliminates the avalanche method of paying the loan with the highest interest rate first and instead gives you a lump sum with a weighted interest rate.

NerdyGirly

May 21, 2020
          1. Dentist

Attachments

• DTCapture.PNG
              DTCapture.PNG
              100.3 KB · Views: 22
            About the Ads
            This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.