1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Entrance To Dental School: Help

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jagreenb, Nov 10, 2001.

1. jagreenb

jagreenb Junior Member

Im interested in attending dental school in Fall of 2003. I am currently graduating in Dec 2001 with a Finance major. I am planning on going back and taking my necessary prerequesites. I am planning on taking Bio 1, Chem 1, and Phy 1 in Spring and in Summer 1 Bio 2 and Chem 2 and then Organic Chem 1 in the second half of the summer. I plan to finish up taking the remainder in the fall of 2002. I hope to be able to take the DAT's in Sept. Could I get some advice please on when to take the DAT's and if I will be prepared. Will I be able to atttend school in Fall 2003 if I follow this schedule.

2. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Manboob Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

I think you can actually pull everything off if you stick to that schedule that you have planned-it probably is the best plan for someone in your situation. You should apply before you take the DATs because Sept will be kind of late to apply. Dont worry you can send in your application before you take the DAT.

3. jagreenb

jagreenb Junior Member

What is the most effective way to prepare for the DAT? What are some of the easier schools to get into on the east coast?

4. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

You may want to get all of the chemistry done and let the physics slide before you take the DAT. Chem is covered on the DAT, physics is not.

Be advised that the short summer session O Chem courses can be real bears at some schools. You could be pushed hard and expected to learn and remember all the material that is covered in the longer standard academic year sessions.

Some schools schedule interviews on a first come first serve basis as long as the applicants meet a pre-set cut off point on their stats. Due to your planned application date, you may get post Dec-1 interview dates from such schools. Generally speaking, that is not a big handicap except that it can complicate your plans and increase the costs associated with travels to those interviews.

5. jagreenb

jagreenb Junior Member

What should I take in what order if I have to take. BIO 1, BIO 2, Chem 1, Chem 2, Orgo 1, Orgo 2, Physics 1&2, over the course of Spring 2002 -Summer and Fall to apply for 2003 admission and be prepare to take the DAT in Sept hopefully

6. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

jagreenb,
    To give you an exact answer, I need more information. Is your school on the semester or quarter system? Do all of the Chem/O-Chem courses have to be taken consecutivly or can you take any of those courses concurrently?

If your school is on the semester system and the Chem/O-Chem courses have to be taken consecutivly your present plan puts you into a bit of a squeeze. If you want to complete O-Chem 2 before taking the DAT, I speculate that you would have to take the DAT in late December which may put you out of reach for some schools as far as obtaining interviews for 2003 entrance is concerned.

P.S. Many of the schools like to see additional electives in the bio-sciences, math, and social sciences on your transcript in addition to the basic bio/chem/phys pre-reqs. You may need to evalute your situation in that area too.