enzyme question/various other things..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to stop making a bunch of threads and add my other questions herE:

is ALT and AST plasma diagnostic enzymes?Or is it just for Liver function tests...just want to make sure I understand this

Also, which would NOT be found in peripheral blood, reticulocytes or myelocytes? From what I read reticulocytes may sometimes be present, so that leaves myelocytes not being present at all , unless there is left shift?

Members don't see this ad.

dinesh said:
Decided to stop making a bunch of threads and add my other questions herE:

is ALT and AST plasma diagnostic enzymes?Or is it just for Liver function tests...just want to make sure I understand this

Also, which would NOT be found in peripheral blood, reticulocytes or myelocytes? From what I read reticulocytes may sometimes be present, so that leaves myelocytes not being present at all , unless there is left shift?

ALT and AST=diagnostic enzymes for hepatitis.

ALT (ALT>AST) for viral induced hepatitis, AST (AST>ALT) for alcohol induced hepatitis

My guess is that these markers are detected in the plasma in pathological situations such as the ones described above.

About which cells are present in peripheral blood, you would more likely see reticulocytes rather than myelocytes in normal situations because myelocytes are housed in the bone marrow, whereas erythrocytes [or reticulocytes in pathological conditions (ex; myeloid dysplasia)] develop from myeloid cells, and are, in normal conditions released from the bone marrow. My guess is that you are more likely to see myelocytes in peripheral vascular tissue in trauma situations dealing with bone fractures.

Reason I asked about them being plasma diagnostic enzymes was because of a past paper.
Is glucocse oxidase a plasma diagnostic enzyme ?

Thanks for the info :)

dinesh said:
Reason I asked about them being plasma diagnostic enzymes was because of a past paper.
Is glucocse oxidase a plasma diagnostic enzyme ?

Thanks for the info :)
No. It is most often used as part the clinical laboratory reagent mix in an enzymatic assay to assess plasma glucose.