1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

enzyme question/various other things..

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by dinesh, Dec 13, 2005.

1. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Decided to stop making a bunch of threads and add my other questions herE:

is ALT and AST plasma diagnostic enzymes?Or is it just for Liver function tests...just want to make sure I understand this

Also, which would NOT be found in peripheral blood, reticulocytes or myelocytes? From what I read reticulocytes may sometimes be present, so that leaves myelocytes not being present at all , unless there is left shift?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

ALT and AST=diagnostic enzymes for hepatitis.

ALT (ALT>AST) for viral induced hepatitis, AST (AST>ALT) for alcohol induced hepatitis

My guess is that these markers are detected in the plasma in pathological situations such as the ones described above.

About which cells are present in peripheral blood, you would more likely see reticulocytes rather than myelocytes in normal situations because myelocytes are housed in the bone marrow, whereas erythrocytes [or reticulocytes in pathological conditions (ex; myeloid dysplasia)] develop from myeloid cells, and are, in normal conditions released from the bone marrow. My guess is that you are more likely to see myelocytes in peripheral vascular tissue in trauma situations dealing with bone fractures.

4. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Reason I asked about them being plasma diagnostic enzymes was because of a past paper.
    Is glucocse oxidase a plasma diagnostic enzyme ?

Thanks for the info :)

5. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

No. It is most often used as part the clinical laboratory reagent mix in an enzymatic assay to assess plasma glucose.