EP application season for 2020 start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morte7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cardiology fellow here with plans to start EP fellowship July 2020. I just signed into MyERAS to work on my application/personal statement and all the participating programs for my year were wiped off. There was a notice from ERAS that said CCEP for fellows starting July 2020 was moving from the Dec 2018 application cycle to the July 2019 application cycle. This is after the VCU EP fellowship page, which seemed to have been the only up-to-date website recently, said that for 2020ers the process was going back to individual rolling admission offers, though ERAS would be used to apply (just no NRMP for a match I assumed).

Anyone know what the deal is with EP and why they can't settle on a sane application process? The ones starting in 2019 have the worst deal with this thing stretched out over the entire year, but I'd rather do that than apply so late. Who is deciding this and why is the information not published anywhere?

Any input would be appreciated! Good luck to all expecting to match in Novemeber.

Members don't see this ad.

Same thing, wondering here. Even have some of my references uploaded LOR and now it seems ERAS is not accepting applications for July 2020 position anymore. This is so confusing.

Any further news on EP application? Do we definitely have to apply July 2019 for July 2020 positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got in touch with some EP programs and yes we have to apply July next year for 2020 positions. Don't know if they still go through NRMP versus offer positions as they go in application season.

I have heard there might be programs who would take applications directly instead of going through ERAS, and they might be filling their positions early on. Has anybody heard anything about that?

Only know of Ohio State that may be doing it for 2020 season and not going through ERAS. Don't know about any other program. Do post if you have any other information.

ugh that's even worse. EP needs to get its act together.

So are Ohio St and those others starting applications sooner, or still 7/2019 but just not using ERAS?

Don't know that. I will personally apply through ERAS next year. Not enthusiastic on paper applications. Most (>95%) programs will still be ERAS...

I called a few programs whose website stated they were outside of ERAS and their response was they have not updated their websites yet. It seems all or most programs are going through ERAS and moving to the July cycle.

I called a few programs whose website stated they were outside of ERAS and their response was they have not updated their websites yet. It seems all or most programs are going through ERAS and moving to the July cycle.
Yes that seems the case. I think Heart Rhythm Society is mandating all EP programs to go through ERAS/NRMP.

OK guys. It seems finally time will be here soon to apply for 2020 EP spots. If people are interested we can post invites etc from programs here. Best of luck!

Finally some word from HRS. To me this sounds like another mandated match like last year, just on a shorter timeline. Disappointing - I was hoping for rolling offers so that plans could be solidified much earlier. I know some programs are offering spots to internal applicants outside the match. Has anyone heard of programs potentially doing this for externals, after ERAS but before match day on Dec 4?

Finally some word from HRS. To me this sounds like another mandated match like last year, just on a shorter timeline. Disappointing - I was hoping for rolling offers so that plans could be solidified much earlier. I know some programs are offering spots to internal applicants outside the match. Has anyone heard of programs potentially doing this for externals, after ERAS but before match day on Dec 4?

Rolling offers sound great... but it really sucks in reality having gone through a process with that setup (IC). I ended up pretty lucky and got a good program but I know folks who had no choice and had to decide on the spot ... it’s a difficult cycle. You really appreciate the match after the fact

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who are planning to stay internal, do you know if it is possible to go through the match directly via NRMP without sending an ERAS application (and avoiding the additional fee)?

Cleveland Clinic and Emory seems to be filled in as far as I know. Most of the remaining programs are still through ERAS and NRMP. It seems more program will go through ERAS and NRMP as HRS has mandated...

Cornell 7/16

Anyone know of programs filling internally who still said they were taking applications on ERAS? Would be nice to rule those out.

Michigan 7/17.

Don't know about any other programs than Emory and Cleveland Clinic yet.

Please also put interview invites here as well for EP.

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17

Let's keep a running list.

So Emory was listed as "not participating" in ERAS, but Cleveland Clinic was participating. Why are they accepting ERAS applications if they already filled internally?

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17

Let's keep a running list.

So Emory was listed as "not participating" in ERAS, but Cleveland Clinic was participating. Why are they accepting ERAS applications if they already filled internally?

Don’t know about Cleveland Clinic on why they are on ERAS. I still applied there but news is they have decided whom to take already.

Don’t know about Cleveland Clinic on why they are on ERAS. I still applied there but news is they have decided whom to take already.
UNC is also full after accepting an internal candidate months ago. I think they keep applications open to keep in good standing with ERAS. Although, it is frustrating to pay fees for programs that are full. I'd rather the programs just be open about the fact that they are taking internal candidates. Emory was pretty clear.

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
MedStar Georgetown/WHC 7/19

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
University of Washington Seattle 7/22

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
UT Houston 7/23
Utah 7/23

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23
Utah 7/23

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23
Utah 7/23
Albert Einstein Montefiore 7/25
Temple 7/25

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23 and 7/25
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25

Can someone (who has admin privileges) change the name of this forum to EP fellowship application 2020 or something? hard to find this forum otherwise

Reactions: 1 user
Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23 and 7/25
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23 and 7/25
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26
UPMC 7/29

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23 and 7/25
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26
UPMC 7/29
George Washington University 7/30

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
UT Houston 7/23, 7/25, 8/1
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26
UPMC 7/29
Iowa 7/30, 7/31
Mayo 8/1

Anyone heard if Boston or any California programs sent any invites yet?

Some of my colleagues in Boston told me that atleast the Harvard programs are likely filling internally. Again, its anecdotal information and I have no way to confirm that.
Anyone heard if Boston or any California programs sent any invites yet?

Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26
UPMC 7/29
Iowa 7/30, 7/31
Mayo 8/1
MGH ???

would be nice if the programs not planning to participate in ERAS from the outset would be considerate to broke applicants and stay out of ERAS.

As last year EP is still not organized with respect to ERAS and NRMP. Anyone heard from Chicago programs?

Perhaps Chicago programs are also filling internally as well.

Interviews
Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26
UPMC 7/29
Iowa 7/30, 7/31
Mayo 8/1
MGH ???

Formal Rejections:
Mayo Rochester 8/2 - hindsight is 20/20; they'll recognize their mistake one day :)

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews
Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26
UPMC 7/29
Iowa 7/30, 7/31
Mayo 8/1
MGH ???

Formal Rejections:
Mayo Rochester 8/2 - hindsight is 20/20; they'll recognize their mistake one day :)

Don’t worry. Mayo is a decent EP program when compared to Penn, Michigan, BWH etc. People told me autonomy is poor so I don’t know how confident a Mayo graduate will be when it comes to independent ablations. Just for name sake I will not go there if I am still shaky doing procedures after 2 years of fellowship. Good luck!

Don’t worry. Mayo is a decent EP program when compared to Penn, Michigan, BWH etc. People told me autonomy is poor so I don’t know how confident a Mayo graduate will be when it comes to independent ablations. Just for name sake I will not go there if I am still shaky doing procedures after 2 years of fellowship. Good luck!

I appreciate that. And I've certainly received a fare share of good program interviews. Although Asirvatham definitely has a great reputation...

Interviews
Cornell 7/16
Michigan 7/17
UF Jacksonville 7/19
Vanderbilt 7/22
Utah 7/23
Temple 7/25
OHSU 7/26