epic as outpatient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter90036

not out fishing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have experience with using the Epic EMR as outpatient FP ? its not very efficient and i cant figure out how to make it work faster ...

Members don't see this ad.

I use Epic for inpatient and outpatient. What don't you feel is efficient about it? I like it more than other EMRs due to the flexibility to free-type and add in pre-built text (smart phrases, med lists, etc). I can usually walk out of the room after a 20 minute visit with my note done. You need to have good smart phrases (generic or problem specific) and utilize the smart sets. For people who don't type fast, I've seen type to talk software (like Dragon) used well within Epic.

Use Macro's/smart phrases - that YOU create.

I have ROS/Physical exam sets for: Respiratory, Chest pain, UTI, URI, Sore throat, Back pain, Concussion.

Then you can set macros for plan: example "Viral pharyngitis, rapid strept negative, treat symptomatically". I have ones set for things I see a lot, for example: Pediatric Concussions that do not require imaging, Concussions that do require Imaging, etc.

Doing this I can document faster than I can write.

im getting the smartphrase working but i still cant figure which is faster... in my note editor i have choice of blank template (that has ros & PE buttons) or a 1 blank note that i can fill with pre-built followup note ... and i guess part of the "difficulty" is because i have to review if i have enough for a higher level of coding ...

and then things like
the depression, fall screen are difficult to get to -maybe i should have the MA do it (but im afraid everyone will endup depressed), and then the results dont go to the note
health maintenance- colonoscopy for ex is painfully long to change needed repeat date