Epidural Enbrel

PinchandBurn

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2010
  1. Attending Physician
    people are supposedly injecting clonidine as well.

I dont think each are well accepted yet. however, they appear to be promising. THe premising being: 1) these can be injected more frequently w/o concerns of side effects of steroids 2) they are not particulate and will mitigate chances of embolization to critical vessels.

Interesting stuff. I think Dr. Huntoon is someone that has looked into this. Keep in mind that clonidine is actually FDA approved for epidural use (in cancer pain).

It's interesting....

About the Ads

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
    Apr 23, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      it looks like etanercept is injected IM in this study. there was some literature on this a few years ago. the good studies in reputable journals said it doesnt work. some d-bag rheumatologist was injecting it "perispinally" ie: in the lumbar paraspinals. said he cured all these people with sciatica. pretty awful research. southern medical journal, i think, where it was first published.

facetguy

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 10, 2008
        it looks like etanercept is injected IM in this study. there was some literature on this a few years ago. the good studies in reputable journals said it doesnt work. some d-bag rheumatologist was injecting it "perispinally" ie: in the lumbar paraspinals. said he cured all these people with sciatica. pretty awful research. southern medical journal, i think, where it was first published.

The ClinicalTrials.gov link in the abstract (http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00733096) reads otherwise and is entitled "A 3-arm Multi-center, Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Transforaminal Corticosteroid, Transforaminal Etanercept and Transforaminal Saline for Lumbosacral Radiculopathy". The abstract itself wasn't entirely clear.

epidural man

10+ Year Member
        Jun 3, 2007
        San Diego
        1. Attending Physician
          Is Enbrel being injected via epidural these days? If yes, anyone have any experience with this?
          http://www.annals.org/content/156/8/551.abstract

This study was just published?

Weird...I swear I read this same thing somewhere else about a year ago - either that or talked directly with Cohen about it. I can't seem to find it on google scholar however.

It doesn't work better than steroids is what I recalled about a year ago. But it costs more.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.