Epidural Injections and Fluoroscopic Guidance as Potentially Misvalued Services- by CMS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Old news. Demise of pain predicted 18 months ago.

Has anything changed or gone into effect? If so, it hasn't seemed to hit the pain guys I know of too hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
The real damage was done at the beginning of this year, when lumbar ESI was cut 50% and cervical ESI cut 60%. Although they're bundling the fluoro, they've reversed some of those cuts, so the net impact is increased payment for ESI's done in the office setting compared to this year (but still a big cut compared to 2013).

For those who do injections in ASC's or HOPD, payment is cut further. Note that none of this applies to transforaminal epidurals, for which fluoro has been bundled for several years now.

Money is the worst reason to specialize in pain these days.

The real damage was done at the beginning of this year, when lumbar ESI was cut 50% and cervical ESI cut 60%. Although they're bundling the fluoro, they've reversed some of those cuts, so the net impact is increased payment for ESI's done in the office setting compared to this year (but still a big cut compared to 2013).

For those who do injections in ASC's or HOPD, payment is cut further. Note that none of this applies to transforaminal epidurals, for which fluoro has been bundled for several years now.

Money is the worst reason to specialize in pain these days.
What other reason is there?

Reactions: 1 user
What other reason is there?

I rarely work before 8:30 AM and never after 5 PM. I am my own boss. I rarely step into a hospital and even more rarely have to deal with any sort of hospital administrator. Some of my patients have drastic improvements in their quality of life, and I get all the credit.

I rarely work before 8:30 AM and never after 5 PM. I am my own boss. I rarely step into a hospital and even more rarely have to deal with any sort of hospital administrator. Some of my patients have drastic improvements in their quality of life, and I get all the credit.
Good reasons. My job Is the same except the 8:30 part, the hospital part, and the credit part.