EPPP-2: What States Are Adopting? What States Are NOT Adopting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychicKat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have seen several people asking where EPPP Part 2 will be required and where it will not be. As we are entering an unstable time while looking for jobs, I'd like to compile the list here for those who need it. I will try to update as much as possible, but I will at least update weekly. Please feel free to comment and I'll move your comment up to the original post when I update. (Disclaimer: I am simply updating this from other people's provided information. I am not personally asking the boards)

Can we do a massive post about all the places that ARE vs ARE NOT adopting the EPPP 2 in 2020?

I can update this post if people want to comment what they know. (Disclaimer: I am simply updating this from other people's provided information. I am not personally asking the boards)

STATES ADOPTING:
  • Arizona
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Texas
  • Missouri
STATES NOT ADOPTING:
  • Rhode Island
  • New York
  • Michigan (holding off until 2022)
  • Pennsylvania
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Wisconsin
  • California
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • California
  • Mississippi
  • Kansas
  • Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if the tide continues like it is without any better rationales/indicators of need, I expect this will translate into a dead effort.

1. How long can they go on administering a test that the majority of people don’t need to take? It’s going to become increasingly hard to defend

1. How much longer can They go on without significant money coming in to recoup their development and rolled out costs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Word on the street is neither Missouri nor Texas are adopting by January 2020.

Admittedly I am out of the loop because I am already licensed but I was under the impression that phase 2 would eventually be a nationwide requirement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Admittedly I am out of the loop because I am already licensed but I was under the impression that phase 2 would eventually be a nationwide requirement?

I believe it went from voluntary to mandatory to voluntary for now but maybe mandatory later? There’s been push back at the state level in many areas. From the ASPPB website

“ How will the enhanced EPPP be implemented?
The enhanced EPPP will be ready for use by member jurisdictions in January 2020. Each member jurisdiction will determine whether they will continue to use the current EPPP (Part 1-Knowledge) or will move to use the enhanced EPPP that uses the EPPP (Part1 knowledge) and the EPPP (Part 2- Skills) to assesses both knowledge and skills. Beta testing of the revised exam will begin once the exam is launched and will continue until at least 150 individuals have taken the exam. After beta testing data are gathered, the ASPPB Board of Directorswith input from member jurisdictions, will explore the question of the consistent use of the enhanced EPPP as the licensing exam for the profession of psychology.”

Georgia hasn't made a firm commitment yet. Late 2020 if the decision is to adopt.

So it's for sure that the states in the OP won't adopt it, even in the future?

Each state's Board of Psychology gets to determine whether they will use it in their licensure process. Without substantial buy-in from the individual states (especially from the heavier hitters), I don't see how the test is going to be sustainable.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I have seen several people asking where EPPP Part 2 will be required and where it will not be. As we are entering an unstable time while looking for jobs, I'd like to compile the list here for those who need it. I will try to update as much as possible, but I will at least update weekly. Please feel free to comment and I'll move your comment up to the original post when I update. (Disclaimer: I am simply updating this from other people's provided information. I am not personally asking the boards)

STATES ADOPTING:
  • Arizona

STATES NOT ADOPTING:
  • Rhode Island
  • New York
  • Pennsylvania
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Wisconsin
  • California

Just called the Maryland Board, they're not adopting

Members don't see this ad :)
Word on the street is neither Missouri nor Texas are adopting by January 2020.

We had an internship didactic recently where ASPPB came to talk with us and said that Texas will be adopting. For some reason I thought there was a map that showed the states adopting, but I’m not able to find it now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had an internship didactic recently where ASPPB came to talk with us and said that Texas will be adopting. For some reason I thought there was a map that showed the states adopting, but I’m not able to find it now...

I’ve heard from a few people that have called the board the are not adopting at this time. In their July 2018 legislative report they said they were. There were a few things they “decided” at that time that they haven’t moved forward on either. Thanks for sharing!

A supervisor who is very familiar with the Missouri psychological association just told me that Missouri is adopting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really? The person who told me they are not serves on MOPA.

It was a change as of yesterday-ish, so maybe check back in with your source? My person said MOPA wasn’t told directly but found out on Twitter

IMG_2354.JPG

I'd urge people that have strong opinions about this to actually get involved with leadership. We can blame leadership all we want, but unless we actually talk with them, or better yet, join leadership, we don't have much skin in the game.

Reactions: 4 users
It was a change as of yesterday-ish, so maybe check back in with your source? My person said MOPA wasn’t told directly but found out on Twitter

View attachment 284421

Yup. Agreed. Talk lots, talk often.

Indeed, even state psych assn. leadership has sway here. We helped rewrite some of the psychology board codes to clarify things last year. We work pretty closely with them and advocate for things like the EPPP and PSYPACT.

MOPA (Missouri) continues to oppose early adoption of EPPP part 2, state board is considering it. State board is still considering feedback and voting it in for a rule change was not on the last meeting agenda.

MOPA (Missouri) continues to oppose early adoption of EPPP part 2, state board is considering it. State board is still considering feedback and voting it in for a rule change was not on the last meeting agenda.

Good to know! Thanks for the update :)

I’m so frustrated by the ongoing lack of decisions for so many jurisdictions. January 2020 is right around the corner! I’ll update here if I hear anything different.

I haven't been keeping up with it much nationally, but I agree--it's poor form to be this late in the year without a clear list of states that are/are not adopting, particularly for interns and fellows who are trying to plan their EPPP timelines.

Louisiana's formal protest to the EPPP-2 (see attached) is worth reading and distributing widely, IMHO.

Attachments

• Letter-to-ASPPB-re-LSBEP-Position-on-EPPP2-7-20-2018.pdf
    154.4 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 8 users
Virginia will not be an early adopter, according to whoever is answering the phone at the Board of Psychology office. No official word on their website yet, though.

Virginia will not be an early adopter, according to whoever is answering the phone at the Board of Psychology office. No official word on their website yet, though.

Similar story for South Carolina. No one would give a definite answer over the phone, but they seemed to imply they believed that SC will not be an early adopter either.

Louisiana's formal protest to the EPPP-2 (see attached) is worth reading and distributing widely, IMHO.
Excellent points. Psychologists already have to submit to significantly more education, training, supervision, and expense in order to practice compared to social workers, 'licensed professional counselors,' etc. We don't need more hurdles.

Excellent points. Psychologists already have to submit to significantly more education, training, supervision, and expense in order to practice compared to social workers, 'licensed professional counselors,' etc. We don't need more hurdles.

More hurdles, no. Better hurdles, definitely. The ease of the EPPP is kind of a joke.

More hurdles, no. Better hurdles, definitely. The ease of the EPPP is kind of a joke.
Totally agree with you. I think it is a noble (and necessary) task to try to improve the scientific and clinical quality of practice in professional psychology. I just think (and I think we're in agreement on this) that these types of monolithic nationalized 'tests' (EPPP and EPPP-2) aren't the proper mechanism for it. I think any real 'quality improvement' efforts have to involve actual direct mentoring (e.g., what happens during internship/postdoc or at a site like, say, The Academy of Cognitive Therapy) where one's work is directly observed and feedback is given by actual experts in the field (or relative local experts).

Totally agree with you. I think it is a noble (and necessary) task to try to improve the scientific and clinical quality of practice in professional psychology. I just think (and I think we're in agreement on this) that these types of monolithic nationalized 'tests' (EPPP and EPPP-2) aren't the proper mechanism for it. I think any real 'quality improvement' efforts have to involve actual direct mentoring (e.g., what happens during internship/postdoc or at a site like, say, The Academy of Cognitive Therapy) where one's work is directly observed and feedback is given by actual experts in the field (or relative local experts).

In theory, I actually like a test that is a blended version of EPPP1 and 2. We need to test the knowledge and practice components. If we only test practice components, what's separating this test from LPC/SW/other masters license test. And, I'd love a standardized way to test competence in grad school, internship, postdoc, etc, but that is like herding birds. Jurisdictions won't agree to it, or there will be so many individual needs from separate jurisdictions as to make it untenable.

Does anyone know if Indiana is adopting the second part?

Does anyone know if Indiana is adopting the second part?
According to ASPPB, no they are not. At least not yet. Thank goodness! The list was released on 11/18, & only a few states are adopting so far.

Missouri will not be an early adopter. Confirmed by state board.

Any other updates now than January 2020 has arrived?

Hi all,

Can we do a massive post about all the places that ARE vs ARE NOT adopting the EPPP 2 in 2020?

I can update this post if people want to comment what they know. (Disclaimer: I am simply updating this from other people's provided information. I am not personally asking the boards)

STATES ADOPTING:
  • Arizona
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Texas
  • Missouri
STATES NOT ADOPTING:
  • Rhode Island
  • New York
  • Pennsylvania
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Wisconsin
  • California
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • California
  • Mississippi
  • Kansas
  • Maryland

Only US states that are early adopters (roll out of part 2 set for Nov 2020) are Georgia, Nevada, and Arizona

Here is an article discussing the early adopters but missing Georgia:

Arizona, Nevada, Guam and the Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador will be required to take two tests – at an additional cost of $450.