Equal chances of admission at DO vs MD schools in my case.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to the different way they calculate repeated courses, my GPA for AMCAS is actually higher than for the AACOMAS: 3.41 vs 3.34. Why? Well, I repeated 4 prereq courses in preparation for the MCAT which I've gotten A's a long time ago (A LONG time ago). MY BCPM for AMCAS is 3.8. What classification similar to AMCAS' BCPM does AACOMAS have?

I thought I'd mention my stat and show how unusual it is to have an applicant with relatively equal chances of admission to both allo and osteo schools (at least in stats). I realize that my 3.41 is still a bit low for MD schools while 3.34 is relatively safe for many OD schools while being a bit low for top tier DO schools. Is there anyone out there with similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, AMCAS takes the average when you repeat and AACOMAS takes the higher grade. How could you have a higher AMCAS BCPM? The only reason is that you did extremely well in your Math courses. AMCAS = BCPM, AACOMAS = BCP, no Math.

With your question of competitiveness for DO, I'd like to say that you can't really judge without a score for your MCAT.

Due to the different way they calculate repeated courses, my GPA for AMCAS is actually higher than for the AACOMAS: 3.41 vs 3.34. Why? Well, I repeated 4 prereq courses in preparation for the MCAT which I've gotten A's a long time ago (A LONG time ago). MY BCPM for AMCAS is 3.8. What classification similar to AMCAS' BCPM does AACOMAS have?

I thought I'd mention my stat and show how unusual it is to have an applicant with relatively equal chances of admission to both allo and osteo schools (at least in stats). I realize that my 3.41 is still a bit low for MD schools while 3.34 is relatively safe for many OD schools while being a bit low for top tier DO schools. Is there anyone out there with similar situation?

Take MCAT....

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant to say that my overall GPA is higher not the BCPM.
In fact, I was wondering what GPA classification AACOMAS has aside from overall GPA (the way AMCAS has their BCPM). I guess you mentioned it....simply BCP. Do they simply call that "science GPA"?

Right now, I don't think you would have a shot at either MD or DO schools.....

because no MCAT ;)

When you get your score on the MCAT, it will tell you a lot about your options. 30+ and you have a fair shot at some MD schools and a really good shot at DO schools. 25 MCAT No MD, and some DO... 45 MCAT, see you at Harvard.... So see? It all depends. Rock the house on the MCAT

I agree, without MCAT scores no one will be able to say that you have good chances to MD and DO. Personally, from what I have seen on the MD side, your GPA is rather low for MD. So with a low MCAT score there will be no chance for MD probably, unless you have great EC's and LOR's. But with a high MCAT score (30+) I would think that your GPA would be fine. Your GPA is average for DO schools, but who really knows without that MCAT. Just because you made A's in the prereq classes for the MCAT wont mean that you will do good on the MCAT. The MCAT is a whole new beast, even though the material itself is not that difficult, they put it together in a way that is very challanging. If it was strait out questions I would have probably done much better, I hate having to over think questions because they are tricky, but that is what is required for the MCAT.

I had a higher AMCAS BCPM, as well.

Overall was the same.

I love AMCAS.