• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

Sonyfan08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
BR gen chem (first 1/2): It says that regardless of the starting condition the equilibrium concentration will be the same if total pressure and temp are the same. Why is that?

For example: CO + H20 --> CO2 + H2
initial 1 M 1 M
final 0.57 0.57 0.43 0.43

inital 0 0 1 M 1 M
final 0.57 0.57 0.43 0.43

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Because that's the way thermodynamics works and it's the point of lowest energy? Not being snarky, sorry, might just need to phrase your question differently

TheMightyBoosh

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Think about what equilibrium means. For a given reaction, you have reactants and products, and a constant (Keq) decides how how the concentrations of each will balance themselves out depending on their energies.

It's like what my German G-chem professor told me my freshman year in college... "K IS A CONSTANT!" (with a thick, commanding accent). So no matter where you start in the reaction (whether it be all products, or all reactants, or half-half), the reaction will always move to the same equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products.

It also might help you to re-read the introductory page in the BR Equilibrium chapter. The analogy they present helps to get a basic conceptual understanding of equilibrium.

Last edited:
About the Ads