1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Equilibrium

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Sonyfan08, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sonyfan08

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    BR gen chem (first 1/2): It says that regardless of the starting condition the equilibrium concentration will be the same if total pressure and temp are the same. Why is that?

For example: CO + H20 --> CO2 + H2
    initial 1 M 1 M
    final 0.57 0.57 0.43 0.43

inital 0 0 1 M 1 M
    final 0.57 0.57 0.43 0.43

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. loveoforganic

loveoforganic -Account Deactivated-
    2+ Year Member

Because that's the way thermodynamics works and it's the point of lowest energy? Not being snarky, sorry, might just need to phrase your question differently

4. TheMightyBoosh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Think about what equilibrium means. For a given reaction, you have reactants and products, and a constant (Keq) decides how how the concentrations of each will balance themselves out depending on their energies.

It's like what my German G-chem professor told me my freshman year in college... "K IS A CONSTANT!" (with a thick, commanding accent). So no matter where you start in the reaction (whether it be all products, or all reactants, or half-half), the reaction will always move to the same equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products.

It also might help you to re-read the introductory page in the BR Equilibrium chapter. The analogy they present helps to get a basic conceptual understanding of equilibrium.

#3 TheMightyBoosh, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011