1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Equilibrium

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Sonyfan08, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sonyfan08

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    BR gen chem (first 1/2): It says that regardless of the starting condition the equilibrium concentration will be the same if total pressure and temp are the same. Why is that?

For example: CO + H20 --> CO2 + H2
    initial 1 M 1 M
    final 0.57 0.57 0.43 0.43

inital 0 0 1 M 1 M
    final 0.57 0.57 0.43 0.43

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. loveoforganic

loveoforganic -Account Deactivated-
    2+ Year Member

Because that's the way thermodynamics works and it's the point of lowest energy? Not being snarky, sorry, might just need to phrase your question differently

4. TheMightyBoosh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Think about what equilibrium means. For a given reaction, you have reactants and products, and a constant (Keq) decides how how the concentrations of each will balance themselves out depending on their energies.

It's like what my German G-chem professor told me my freshman year in college... "K IS A CONSTANT!" (with a thick, commanding accent). So no matter where you start in the reaction (whether it be all products, or all reactants, or half-half), the reaction will always move to the same equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products.

It also might help you to re-read the introductory page in the BR Equilibrium chapter. The analogy they present helps to get a basic conceptual understanding of equilibrium.

#3 TheMightyBoosh, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011