equivalence point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raiden2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a diprotic acid is titrated with a strong base, what is the pH at the second equivalence point?
Below 7
Above 7
Not enough info

Members don't see this ad.

If the diprotic acid is H2SO4, then who was phone?

polycurve.gif

Separate the proton dissociations in your head. If you titrate to the first proton's equivalent point and you assume the first proton is a strong acid, the pH will be neutral at the equivalence point because it's a strong acid / strong base titration. If you assume the first proton is not a strong acid, the pH will be slightly basic at the equivalence point because it's effectively a weak acid / strong base titration.

Dissocation constants (Ka/pKa) are progressively weaker for progressive proton dissocations of any polyprotic acid. You can see the trends here: http://www2.ucdsb.on.ca/tiss/stretton/database/polyprotic_acids.htm

Remember from the first paragraph that the pH is at least 7, maybe higher depending on the acidity of the first proton. Titrating a less acidic species in a neutral or slightly basic solution with a strong base means the solution will definitely be basic (pH >7) at the equivalence point.

Last edited:
If a diprotic acid is titrated with a strong base, what is the pH at the second equivalence point?
Below 7
Above 7
Not enough info

Above 7 tends to be the case with weak acids and strong bases. Even if the diprotic acid happened to be a strong acid (H2SO4), I believe the second equivalence point would occur at above 7. The poster above me offered another possible explanation. Is that the answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say not enough info.
Basically the question we have to answer is H(X)- a strong or a weak acid? Where X can be several atoms. If it is strong, asnwer is 7, weak means above 7. Since we can't be expected to know every 2 proton acid in the universe and its HX- anion's acidity, I would go with not enough info.

Edit: Scratch all that. CV's explanation makes sense. I am ******ed.

Double edit: I would add to CV's explanation though:
1) We can bound the PH of the first titration to be >=7 (=7 if strong, >7 if weak, but it can bever be less then 7).
2) Second titration (even if first is =7) has to be at least a delta (small value) bigger than first, so even if first =7, then after another titration we are at 7+.

I don't think we should bring up specific acids here, this a logic/bounding question.

If you go to the first equivalence point it would be like you started with a solution of HA-.

If you go to the second equivalent point it would be like starting with all A2-.

Thinking logically, since we start with all A2- in water that would otherwise be neutral, our pH must be >7. A2- will attract protons from the autoionization of water and thus raise the pH above 7. A2- has no acidic protons to donate and is highly unlikely to be an electron acceptor, so it will not act as an acid. >7 must be the answer.

Last edited:
If you go to the first equivalence point it would be like you started with a solution of HA-.

If you go to the second equivalent point it would be like starting with all A2-.

Thinking logically, since we start with all A2- in water that would otherwise be neutral, our pH must be >7. A2- will attract protons from the autoionization of water and thus raise the pH above 7. A2- has no acidic protons to donate and is highly unlikely to be an electron acceptor, so it will not act as an acid. >7 must be the answer.

this. think of it in terms of the product you are making.. something with a -2 charge for instance is basic