Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

ER--Attacks on staff

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by scully, Jun 29, 2000.

1. scully

scully Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know I am way behind the times, but I just tonight saw the ER where Lucy and Carter got attacked. This was so disturbing! Does anyone know if this type of thing really happens (I am sure it does!) and how often?

2. Bren

Bren Member
    10+ Year Member

It's definitely a frightening topic.

I'm from U Washington undergrad. (I just moved from there actually...) Early this week, a pathology resident, who was about to lose his spot, walked into the director's office shot him and then killed himself.
    I lived in the health sciences building the last 2 years, and to hear this happen is just so frightening -- since we're entering such a stressful field. I guess this guy just snapped. The story's on www.seattletimes.com Very scary.

3. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

At the hospital where I do most of my volunteering, the cheif resident of EM told me about an incident that occured just one week before I began to serve there. It was Memorial Day weekend(Las Vegas), and a rather large man was being evaluated by one of the residents. Well, it turns out that he was very high on PCP, and decided that he didn't like the resident examining him very much. After all was said and done, 2 residents, 1 nures, and 1 gaurd were addmitted that night! Scary stuff!

4. Matt Norman

Matt Norman Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, for the last four years I have worked in an ER as an EMT. There have been a vew times when patients have gotten rowdy. A few people have gotten hit or kicked, a couple even bit. However, there have never been injuries requiring treatment. However, I have to admit that that show scared the **** out of me. It even made me rethink wanting to be an ER doc, for a second at least. Any way just my two cents.

Matt

------------------
    Love God, Hate Sin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. reed0104

reed0104 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

things like that, assaults, happen with regularity on locked pysch units. However, we took all their "weapons" (anything remotely hard or sharp) away from them at admitting. I would say I was hit or swung at about 20 times last year, working only part time.

Sometimes they will call codes in the ER which all available people would come to help. Those WERE DEFINATELY scarier because you had no idea what the people were or weren't carrying, NOT A GOOD FEELING.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...