ER Freaks...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FLY, Oct 30, 2001.

1. FLY

FLY Senior Member

All my pre-med friends are so crazy about ER and I am sure some of you all are too... anyway...they watch all the episodes, when they don't have time, someone else tape it for them etc.... See, I am more of a Seinfeld, Sports, and Survior kind of person and I tried watching ER once, but I could never get into it...

Just same old someone gets hit by a car and goes to hospital etc I guess... anyway, the question is am I selling myself short by not watching ER in my quest for a med school admission????

P.S. I don't even know the character's name George Clooney plays...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

Yep. 9 out of 10 med school interviewers have been known to ask about the show. The responses to these questions are discussed thoroughly amongst the admissions committee before any admisssions decisions are made. If I were you, I'd quickly start watching the re-runs on TNT. It's not too late.

P.S. George Clooney left a long, long time ago.

4. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    You've got to be kidding right?? I don't watch ER either, it just isn't my cup of tea. I would rather watch the 'real' medical shows like the ones on TLC?

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

Chalk another one up for MD2Be. You are too good, my friend. --Trek

6. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

I couldn't tell the charcter... let alone actor name of the star in ER... assuming there is one star... i have no idea.

I do like watching the rescues in bay watch though. Of course that guys kidding about ER in interviews. and if he's not... i wont believe him.

7. FLY

FLY Senior Member

OK, that was some kinda exagerration... Although it wouldn't take you that much to convince me b/c of the amount of time my friends spend on dissecting each and every incident to the last possible bits and pieces... What I meant was...Can watching ER be of any real help in doing well on interviews as in being good with the whole medical terminology etc.??? Well..I guess it should.. its just that I can't stand it..

8. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger

Medical Student
    the ER craze is over. Now interviewers will only discuss Survivor with you, so that is what i am spending all my time watching now. I love my soap operas. ;)

9. andrea

Anybody else want Dr. Carter to get with Abby? They would be such a good couple, but of course the writers will drag it out all season. :p

10. Chadleez1

Chadleez1 Senior Member

I thought that too! And I'm glad Sherry Stringfield is back this season...she was my favorite when she was on years ago.

11. riotgurl

riotgurl Junior Member

I think Abby and Carter would make a great couple. But has anyone seen the preview for Thursday's show? The announcer says ...and a relationship will deepen... or something to that effect and it focuses on Susan and Carter. Nooooo! :eek:

12. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    she looks old enough to be his mum. Btw why is Carter still living at home with grandma? Residents make that little money?

13. kobe8

kobe8 Member

I can't stand watching medical shows. Its like being extremely hungry and watching "Emeril". Maybe when I get in my feelings will change.

14. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member

Actually, when I was at Johns Hopkins, the student interviewers talked a lot about ER (and Scrubs, though I had no clue about that show). So my watching ER did seem to come in handy, for once! But I am sure those who didn't watch weren't at a terrible disadvantage.

And I definitely agree with Chadleez--Sherry Stringfield was always my favorite on that show, and I have been annoying my friends for years asking when she would come back. When I heard she was, I was sooooo excited I nearly cried (ok, maybe I am toooo into the show!).

15. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

He played Doug Ross M.D. Hope this helps.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

By the way, "ER Freaks." Don't take this personally, but if everyone is watching it and you aren't, doesn't that make you the freak? Actually, in that case, I'd be a freak, too. My girlfriend is always trying to get me to watch it with her.

18. FLY

FLY Senior Member

Yeah Yeah.. I guess I am the "Freak" now.... See.. I am totally lost when people talk about "Carter" and "Ross" and all... and I better hit the library to see if they have any books that could make me literate on this whole ER thing..

19. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member

I used to think ER was a great show and would watch it regularly but lately, it has gotten kind of ridiculous. The plot has been weaving just all over the place and you begin to wonder if a single one of the physicians on the show will ever lead a normal life.

20. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell

Resident [Any Field]
    Um, yes, you can add me to the ER fanclub. I've been watching since the show started way back when I was a junior (or was I a senior?) in high school. My mom and I used to watch it together and try hard not to cry. It seemed like the earlier shows were so much more emotional and sad, with patients dying, parents re-uniting with their estranged children, etc. Now, the show is slowly becoming more soap-opera esque, but I'm still addicted. I work at night and I tape it and watch it when I get home at 1:30 am...I get a kick out of trying to identify all the medical errors in the show....Didn't Carter ever learn you're not supossed to uncap a syringe with your mouth? DUH!

Regarding Carter and Susan, I think there will be a hook-up, but what's going to happen with Abby?

Yikes, i need a life.

21. silverline

silverline New Member

What about Doogie Howser, M.D.? Doesn't anyone care about Doogie, Wanda and the gang?

:D *cues the 80's synthesiser*