ER hours/schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering EM and I used to be an ER tech in a suburban trauma II ER. However, I don't think that the lifestyle that everyone admires is so great. First of all, the docs in my ER all worked night shifts and weekends. Second, most of them worked the 2-9 shift on weekdays. They worked 7-2 only a few times a week. In other words they are never home on weeknights to see their families and are working on the weekends.

So, I hope I am missing something, but why do people think ER docs have great schedules?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by drboris
I am considering EM and I used to be an ER tech in a suburban trauma II ER. However, I don't think that the lifestyle that everyone admires is so great. First of all, the docs in my ER all worked night shifts and weekends. Second, most of them worked the 2-9 shift on weekdays. They worked 7-2 only a few times a week. In other words they are never home on weeknights to see their families and are working on the weekends.

So, I hope I am missing something, but why do people think ER docs have great schedules?

Who works the day shift if all the docs in your ER all worked nights and weekends?

My attendings work between 30-42 hours a week and make roughly 200k. The older ones work less nights/weekends than the younger ones but still pull a night or two every couple of weeks. We have a few attendings who prefer to work nights (I plan on being of this type). Most of my attendings, though, work a mix of days, nights, and weekends. You may have been at an ED where there was superiority (i.e. the most experienced ED physicians worked days, with the younger/newer ED guys working nights/weekends). Most places that I know of have everyone share the majority of the nights/weekends.

And ALL of my attendings have told me how they love EM because it gives them MORE time with their families than all of the other specialties (albeit a few like derm or path).

Don't go into EM because of the schedule/lifestyle. If its not for you but you force yourself to go into it, you'll hate life and put patient care on the backburner.

Q, DO

QuinnNSU,

Congrats on being moderator!! THey couldn't have chosen a better person.

All the docs do share the nights and weekends, but it seems that they work a lot of the 2-9 shift, which completely compromises their family life.

I like ER because of the variety and I am just trying to learn more about their realistic schedules and lifestyles.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be your one hospital. I wouldn't mind a 2-9 shift every once in a while, although a 7 hour shift does seem a bit short unless there is also double physician coverage or something there... I'm hoping to do 8-10s, maybe a 12 or so in the "fast-track." Someone will have to work the 2-9 shift, but there will also be people wokring the 7-2 shift, as well as the 9-7 shift... so in the end it should all even out.

Thanks for the congrats.

Man I really should be doing something besides surfing SDN (in the midst of writing a book).

Q, DO

What is "fast-track"?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Not all ED's have a fast-track, but basically its an area for non-urgent patients that can be identified at triage. Generally people who don't need labs, don't need a workup, and can be treated and streeted quickly. If you can get rid of all of your URI's, strep throats, minor lacs, "my toe skin is dry", etc without tying up your department, more power to ya!